Notices
Leaving the Career Alternative careers for pilots

FAA inspector thread

Old 04-06-2012, 09:02 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

send me a PM. Would like to talk about Flight Check.

Pee-Wee
You'll have to get a few more posts before the PM siftware will kick in - but when you do drop me a line.
Have you read the long and informative FAA hiring.... thread.
I'll bet that thread alone (plus there are numerous others) will answer MOST questions - or at least give you some more ideas to ask specific questions.

USMCFLYR
Old 04-07-2012, 08:39 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: New Hire

SALARY RANGE:
$91,426.00 - $141,735.00 / Per Year
OPEN PERIOD:
Friday, February 17, 2012 to
Friday, March 09, 2012
SERIES & GRADE:
FV-1825-J
POSITION INFORMATION:
Full Time - Permanent
DUTY LOCATIONS:
Washington, District of Columbia - Vacancies: Few
WHO MAY BE CONSIDERED:
U.S. Citizens
Old 04-07-2012, 11:09 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by shadyops View Post
SALARY RANGE:
$91,426.00 - $141,735.00 / Per Year
OPEN PERIOD:
Friday, February 17, 2012 to
Friday, March 09, 2012
SERIES & GRADE:
FV-1825-J
POSITION INFORMATION:
Full Time - Permanent
DUTY LOCATIONS:
Washington, District of Columbia - Vacancies: Few
WHO MAY BE CONSIDERED:
U.S. Citizens
AH......'J' Band position.
I'm thinking that you may be looking at a higher level position than entry level - possible manager for instance, especially with it being a DC position, but I can't be sure.

To compare, look at this position on the FAA's job site for ASI positions:
Job Description

Highlights:
Position: Aviation Safety Inspector - Air Carrier Operations
Announcement Number: AAC-AMH-11-ACO-003-20965
Opening Date: Jun 01, 2011
Close Date: Mar 26, 2012
Series: 1825
Business Component: FAA, Aviation Safety, Flight Standards Service
Duty Location(s): Flight Standards Locations - Vacancies: Many
Salary Range: $41,563 - $78,355
Grade(s): 9/11/12

Job Status: Full Time
Appointment Duration: Permanent

USMCFLYR
Old 07-09-2012, 11:08 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007

USMCFLYR or Pee Wee. I've applied several times over the past 5 years for an ASI GA or AC position. The application process has gone through a few changes and it's now on USAjobs, the KSA component was introduced a number of years back, and now resides inside the FAA AVIATOR add-on.

My question is about the KSA's and the responses that you are allowed to select.

1. Risk Management - The ability to assure that risk is identified, evaluated, documented, eliminated or controlled within defined program risk parameters.

The 1st response you can select is along the lines of "I do not have this skill acquired through a degree program, etc."

The 2nd is "I do have this skill acquired from program of study resulting in a degree, etc." Not exact but close to what is on line.

I you have a degree that did not include a course of study in the specific KSA, but flew the line as a professional pilot (military or civilian), how did you approach this? I searched and read what I could on the subject, any more info?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by HawkerJet View Post
USMCFLYR or Pee Wee. I've applied several times over the past 5 years for an ASI GA or AC position. The application process has gone through a few changes and it's now on USAjobs, the KSA component was introduced a number of years back, and now resides inside the FAA AVIATOR add-on.

My question is about the KSA's and the responses that you are allowed to select.

1. Risk Management - The ability to assure that risk is identified, evaluated, documented, eliminated or controlled within defined program risk parameters.

The 1st response you can select is along the lines of "I do not have this skill acquired through a degree program, etc."

The 2nd is "I do have this skill acquired from program of study resulting in a degree, etc." Not exact but close to what is on line.

I you have a degree that did not include a course of study in the specific KSA, but flew the line as a professional pilot (military or civilian), how did you approach this? I searched and read what I could on the subject, any more info?

Thanks in advance.
My best guess would be to call the HR help line and ask them that question directly.
I did not have to approach that particular question when I applied, but I'd like to think that if you had training in Risk Management as part of any formal educational procress - military or civilian - then you could check the I DO block - but I hate the wording of '...resulting in a degree' which leads me to believe they are looking at some form of training acquired while participating in an aviation degree program which I can't believe they would actually care about in the end game.

Let me roll this question off of a former ASI who got a job a few years back and see what his experience tells him.

USMCFLYR
Old 07-10-2012, 05:35 AM
New Hire

Just try to stay out of the air traffic side. i have been in a few years and want out bad but nothing has worked. i thought the same just get in and then move around. Im sure it worked for some, but i have found it easier said then done.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:13 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: JAFO- First Observer

I would, and did just that almost 6 years ago. Most of my friends and co-workers thought I was nuts. However, now with my former employer in BK, I am sleeping well at night knowing that I made the right move. It takes a bit of patience to get a Govt. job. In my case, 5 years of patience and persistence. Started as a GS-12 G/A Ops ASI and now am a GS-14 with two more type ratings than I had before. I love what I do. Lots of great opportunities for those that are passionate about aviation safety!

Regarding the Risk Assessment questions on AVIATOR (online app) here is my recommendations:

Google and Study "Systems Safety; Safety Assurance System; and Safety Risk Management".

Input as many "Hazard Reports" to your company as possible. Follow up and get involved. Mention it in the Application! Those familiar with OF-25's, that is what I am talking about. For example, back when I was with my former employer, I submittted a report to the company and suggested that Crewmembers be provided with Orange/Yellow Safety Vests at each jetbridge for the Preflight "Walk Arounds" so that they won't get "run over" by ground vehicles. OSHA Canada requires them. It took several years, but that company is now doing so at the busy hubs.

Good Luck, follow your gut (and your heart) and you will make the right decision.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:06 PM
Furloughed Again?!

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: Boeing 737

Some of those "essay" questions are tough. I've been applying for years without so much as a nibble.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:19 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2012

I have been a GA ops inspector for 2.5 years now. I had 12 years 135 experience and a bit of 61 instruction.

It's a good job if you want stability and to be home every night.

I've worked in two different offices and am debating about going to a CMO. Each office is independently owned and operated. At one, the experience level of the average ops inspector was extremely high. At the other it was appallingly low.

It is probably not something I see myself doing as a career.

Any other question just PM me.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:20 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2013

I have a very close friend who works as a GA inspector. It's a steady paycheck but he is bored to death. He wants to become an airspace system pilot but I guess those jobs are fairly hard to land even from inside the FAA.