Notices
Leaving the Career Alternative careers for pilots

FAA inspector thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 03:13 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2016
Default Shallow hiring pool

I've heard that there are less than 19 viable candidates for GA.

Plus, top to bottom reorg that has everything stripped up.

Last edited by steamgauges; 08-05-2016 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Added in reorg
Old 08-05-2016, 03:38 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

That is true about the reorg and it has touched every flight program.
The results will be a long time in coming.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:50 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
No actual airplane flying at the Academy starting next month.
All new hire training will be in the FTDs.

Running MS Flight Sim with the CGX default?

What "flying" do they do there?
Old 08-05-2016, 03:53 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by steamgauges View Post
I've heard that there are less than 19 viable candidates for GA.

Plus, top to bottom reorg that has everything stripped up.
That is true about the reorg and it has touched every flight program.
The results will be a long time in coming.
Really? 19? Can you two elaborate on this reorganization and what kind of results are you expecting?
Old 08-05-2016, 09:47 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: Volleyball Player

haha, I saw "the baron" taxi by at the terminal yesterday...

I thought indoc was going to AFW, but I have no idea.
Old 08-06-2016, 03:54 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2014
Position: Cubicle dweller

Damn, the only bright spot of the last 3 week stint was the airplane time. Especially after you're hired and yanked out of the cockpit for 14 months.

Any idea what the length of hire until the start of string is now? A buddy starts tomorrow.
Old 08-06-2016, 04:05 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by deadstick35 View Post
Running MS Flight Sim with the CGX default?

What "flying" do they do there?
At the Academy they did some induce flying in light airplanes and a Baron that was leased from across the airport. I believe all of that flying ends in mid-late September. They basically sued that Academy course to get people comfortable again in light GA that may not have flown a lot GA recently.
I'm sure that one of our many ASIs following this thread can give some more details to the exact type and amount of flying that is presently going on during the course.

Originally Posted by deadstick35 View Post
Really? 19? Can you two elaborate on this reorganization and what kind of results are you expecting?
In very broad general terms the reorg took the 6 different FAA flight programs and put them all under one line of business within the FAA and put one person in charge of them. There was a big brief on some details of it, but most of it was along the lines of plans for the reorg with program realignment and no names provided or details on how this will work on a practical basis. Many of us are waiting to see what fleshes out in the coming months.

Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
haha, I saw "the baron" taxi by at the terminal yesterday...

I thought indoc was going to AFW, but I have no idea.
The AFS-60 flying for the quarterly currency/proficiency will still be going on at AFW, but there C90s are now under the operational control of FIS.

Originally Posted by MidwestXLguy View Post
Damn, the only bright spot of the last 3 week stint was the airplane time. Especially after you're hired and yanked out of the cockpit for 14 months.

Any idea what the length of hire until the start of string is now? A buddy starts tomorrow.
I agree about the 'bright spot" part. I mean the job already had little flying involved and not it is cut some more. A few of the former, and current, ASIs I see on an almost daily basis seem to think that AFS is pushing towards NO flying in an actual airplane, but only observing. It seems far fetched to me but strange things are definitely afoot.

Last edited by USMCFLYR; 08-06-2016 at 04:43 AM.
Old 08-06-2016, 04:15 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2014
Position: Cubicle dweller

Last October, we got six flights in the Baron simulator, three flights in a C172 (with G1000 and air conditioning) and three flights in a B58GTx (I think) Baron with G1000 and AC.

Considering it had been 13 months since hire date, without being in an a GA airplane, it was a review of commercial maneuvers, engine-out procedures, etc. Most of the guys you flew with were good instructors, and it was especially good to knock the rust off maneuvers I hadn't done for 30 years.

At the Academy they did some induce flying in light airplanes and a Baron that was leased from across the airport. I believe all of that dying ends in mid-late September. They basically sued that Academy course to get people comfortable again in light GA that may not have flown a lot GA recently.
I'm sure that one of our many ASIs flowing this thread can give some more details to the exact type and amount of flying that is presently going on during the course.

I agree about the 'bright spot" part. I mean the job already had little flying involved and not it is cut some more. A few of the former, and current, ASIs I see on an almost daily basis seem to think that AFS is pushing towards NO flying in an actual airplane, but only observing. It seems far fetched to me but strange things are definitely afoot.
Yeah, that supposition seems to be floating about. You have to wonder about the hypocrisy of someone who hasn't flown an airplane, or isn't current, checking someone else? While I go off to AFW every quarter, the contract instructors are so disinterested (and it's usually so hot, so rushed, and so controlled) that I can't really say I learn anything or brush up on much. It's usually a 'let's get this damn thing done' and head back home. I'm probably more 'current' this week, having given four initial CFI-rides - my chandelles were pretty good by the end of the week.

PS. If they take us out of the cockpit, I'd have to look at going back to my previous life. I'm not sure I can take the drag of five days a week in the cube.
Old 08-06-2016, 04:51 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Did somebody forget the second "A" is for "Aviation?" This could reduce that "19" number even lower.
Old 08-06-2016, 04:59 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008

I have my check ride next week. I'm not liking all this talk about No more airplanes..