Notices
Leaving the Career Alternative careers for pilots

FAA inspector thread

Old 08-27-2017, 07:06 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: JAFO- First Observer

Congrats!!! You are very fortunate to get picked up at GS-12. Many folks start at GS-11. After you complete much of your OJT and Indoc training at OKC, you will be eligible for promotion to GS-13 after approximately one year. Then start looking for remotely sited AFS-900 HQ opportunities, which are GS-14. One of my buddies is a DSI with them, he teleworks 100% unless on travel/TDY. Moving expenses are on "your dime" unless the vacancy announcement (job posting) specifies "PCS" which is a paid move.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:19 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2016
Position: F/O Lear 35 & 60

Originally Posted by lipsalmon View Post
I was recently hired into the UPS CMO to be the Dispatch ASI. I start October 30th. Just wondering what to expect over the first year and completing all my OJT items and OKC visits. Was also told when I interviewed in DEN that I would have a chance to negotiate my pay and other onboard perks like potentially relocation costs. But it looks like they are just saying I am starting as GS 12 step 1. Not sure if there was supposed to be an opportunity that I missed to negotiate something better?? I know the Dispatch ASI's are very few overall but is there anyone on here that knows anything specific about it? Or maybe know someone I can contact? I am very excited to get started and see all the various things I'll work with and be assigned... Is GS-13 a realistic expectation after 1-2 yrs? And further along, how bout GS 14 options?
Not sure how it works on the CMO dispatch side of things but on the GA ops side the only time you can make the jump from a 12 to 13 is by gaining Complexity and I've been also told that it's a big no no to talk raises and relocation during your first year since it's a probationary period. Could be different in your department tho idk.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:54 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2016

Originally Posted by PerfInit View Post
Congrats!!! You are very fortunate to get picked up at GS-12. Many folks start at GS-11. After you complete much of your OJT and Indoc training at OKC, you will be eligible for promotion to GS-13 after approximately one year. Then start looking for remotely sited AFS-900 HQ opportunities, which are GS-14. One of my buddies is a DSI with them, he teleworks 100% unless on travel/TDY. Moving expenses are on "your dime" unless the vacancy announcement (job posting) specifies "PCS" which is a paid move.
Did I screw myself out of GS-11/12 if I put GS-9 on my app?
Old 08-27-2017, 10:19 AM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by BizJet View Post
Did I screw myself out of GS-11/12 if I put GS-9 on my app?
Basically you can put yourself down as whatever GS level you want, HR will ultimately determine your GS level based off of your resume and experience. It is sort of a catch 22 because if you put yourself down as a 9 your application will automatically be filtered out if offices are looking for anything higher than that.

Doesn't hurt to put yourself down as a level higher than what you believe you qualify for.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:13 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by LearDude View Post
Basically you can put yourself down as whatever GS level you want, HR will ultimately determine your GS level based off of your resume and experience. It is sort of a catch 22 because if you put yourself down as a 9 your application will automatically be filtered out if offices are looking for anything higher than that.

Doesn't hurt to put yourself down as a level higher than what you believe you qualify for.
Oh I had it the other way around. I thought you put the lowest you'd accept to give yourself the best odds.

I'll go update my app to a GS-11 as that's what my experience works out to based on the chart.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:10 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Sep 2017

Originally Posted by lipsalmon View Post
I was recently hired into the UPS CMO to be the Dispatch ASI. I start October 30th. Just wondering what to expect over the first year and completing all my OJT items and OKC visits. Was also told when I interviewed in DEN that I would have a chance to negotiate my pay and other onboard perks like potentially relocation costs. But it looks like they are just saying I am starting as GS 12 step 1. Not sure if there was supposed to be an opportunity that I missed to negotiate something better?? I know the Dispatch ASI's are very few overall but is there anyone on here that knows anything specific about it? Or maybe know someone I can contact? I am very excited to get started and see all the various things I'll work with and be assigned... Is GS-13 a realistic expectation after 1-2 yrs? And further along, how bout GS 14 options?
Congrats on the hire! Starting out as a GS-12 is good. I have not heard of anyone really negotiating as a new hire. HR just doesnt need to in general. In addition, the positions are "written up" for a certain pay grade. They arent really able to make it higher without a lot of red tape. Most people that start out in a CMO as an GS-11. At least for the first year. As for what the first year is like (and this is the perspective of a CMO Ops guy) prepare to be bored for a little while. First, you wont have a computer for a week or so, at best. Then you have to get a zillion passwords up and running to log onto the software. But on top of all that, you wont have any idea how to do your job. The good news is- No one expects you to know anything- except how to be a dispatcher. So just sit back and relax, listen and learn. You will probably follow folks around a lot when they go to the Cert Airline. A few weeks or months after your in, expect to get two or more Oak City trips for your "string" training. After youre done with string you have a rather long OJT process. You should be fully up to speed and doing your own work after a year. At that point, you should expect a pay raise to GS-13. Although the last few years of budget turmoil can change things for better or worse. Its a great job if you value schedule flexibility. Just tough out the first 6 months to a year and you will be king of your domain- you will probably be the only dispatcher ASI on the office.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:49 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Looks like things are moving along. My app just got updated to Referred.

Wonder how long till I get a call?
Old 09-13-2017, 11:14 AM
Line Holder

Unfortunately those updates can be pretty unreliable. Let me put it to you this way, when I was interviewed my app was still showing "received" after I took the checkride it said "referred" and after I was officially hired (and still to this day) it says "Not Referred." Hopefully they got the kinks out but this is only going back a couple months...
Old 09-15-2017, 04:24 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Sep 2017

Getting bumped up to Referred is progress at least. Its supposed to mean you met all the application wickets. But as mentioned, its a bit nebulous. Could get a call today or in months. Normally, the new fiscal year (1 Oct) creates some job movement.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:03 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2016

Question - Is it better to try an ERR during the first year or after you're qualified and a 13? I've heard it both ways and can't figure out which is best. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk