Notices
Leaving the Career Alternative careers for pilots

FAA inspector thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 05:45 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: JAFO- First Observer

No and No; ERR is voluntary and not entitled to any relocation expenses (PCS). You move on your own dime. Best suggestion is to reach out to the office of interest, speak to an FLM or Manager and express interest. Give them a "heads up" on your desire to ERR and see what kind of SA or feedback they give you on staffing.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:57 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Nov 2017
Default ERR

I have used the ERR process 3 times, and promoted twice in 5 years. It's a political process. You need to keep the wheels greased on both ends and keep the chit chat with others to a minimum while you execute your plans and your moves. Network with people that have a successful
track record of upward movement and follow their trail.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:24 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: JAFO- First Observer

Everything in gubment wirk is political... Impossible to move up without ****ing someone off (former Manager that hired you OR peer(s) that feels they were screwed by not getting what you got)...
Old 12-10-2017, 01:24 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2017

Apologies if this has been covered multiple times.

For bases....if you get hired, they put you wherever they want (needs of the FAA), and then you can put in to move locations after 1 year? Is that correct?

If so, is there any sort of list of where you're likely to be based first? i.e. the NYC of airlines?
Old 12-10-2017, 02:07 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2017

Originally Posted by JTwift View Post
Apologies if this has been covered multiple times.

For bases....if you get hired, they put you wherever they want (needs of the FAA), and then you can put in to move locations after 1 year? Is that correct?

If so, is there any sort of list of where you're likely to be based first? i.e. the NYC of airlines?
Your first duty assignment depends upon the needs of the agency.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:47 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Dec 2013
Default I interviewed on November 30 GA side

Originally Posted by MidwestXLguy View Post
Unlikely. They're used to phone tag.

Good luck.

PS. Let me know if I can answer any questions. I'm a GA Ops POI, midwest city with race cars.... LOL

I interviewed on November 30th I got a call from the HR on December 12 that my file package sent to the FSDO office the one I had as my first choice and it dose have a few opening ASI positions is that mean I passed the interview ? is the FSDO office making the finale decision on my application to move forward . Any one know ????

Last edited by okcpilot; 12-13-2017 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:48 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2016

Originally Posted by okcpilot View Post
I interviewed on November 30th I got a call from the HR on December 12 that my file package sent to the FSDO office the one I had as my first choice and it dose have a few opening ASI positions is that mean I passed the interview ? is the FSDO office making the finale decision on my application to move forward . Any one know ????

Sounds that way. You have to show up on their list and they pick who they want. These days you may be the only one on the list! The FSDO called all my references and then I got the tentative offer. I actually got a list of 6 locations to choose from and once I picked, then I got the TOL. I got a call from yet another FSDO that wasn’t one of the original 6 after I’d already accepted. It’s a long, strange hiring process that loses a lot of good people due to the wait. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-15-2017, 08:05 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Dec 2013
Default Thanks

Thanks for the reply hop good news com soon
Old 12-19-2017, 04:51 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2013

Been following this thread for a while...I have been through the interview process and now being sent to fly the Seminole. Appreciate any info on the flight portion if anyone cares to send me a PM.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:58 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Sep 2017
Position: Mostly a Desk

NORDO7600

PM sent...