Notices
Leaving the Career Alternative careers for pilots

FAA inspector thread

Old 04-30-2019, 05:56 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2019

I have a GA checkride coming up next month and I’m curious of others checkride experiences. How hard was the oral and flight portion?
Im prepping for the ride, I’ve scheduled some time in a PA44 at ALL ATPS in Arlington and I’ve been studying the applicant guide that was sent.
I’ve also searched the thread, I’ve seen that some folks had an 1.5hr ride, while others reported a 3hr ride. Is 3hrs the new standard for the check ride?

I would appreciate a PM or reply.
Thank you for your time.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:31 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Nov 2017

Does anyone have the gouge on the Air Carrier Oral and Check Ride in the 737.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:53 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: May 2005

Originally Posted by BoomerSooner View Post
Does anyone have the gouge on the Air Carrier Oral and Check Ride in the 737.
I had the option to do air carrier or general aviation and I elected to go with the GA side. My checkride is coming up soon and I am preparing for that.

That being said, I do have a tool that you could possibly use if you are interested. Your checkride with be in a 737 either in OKC or Denver (United's sims), most likely OKC.

When I was preparing for it, there is a place that I found in Chicago that happens to have a simulator where they only charge around $125/hour. The sim itself doesnt move but the visuals are presented with screens that move. The cockpit is exactly like the one that you will use for your checkride and could be deemed invaluable if you dont have any time in a 737. Let me know if you are interested in hearing more and I will elaborate
Old 08-06-2019, 02:33 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Aug 2018
Default FSDO opening List for ASI - GAO?

Hi All,

does anyone have a list of current FSDO's that are hiring for the ASI-GAO positions? I emailed the FDSO address on the FAA website but they just linked me to the usajobs website and said that I needed to apply first.

I'm more interested in seeing what offices are looking to hire though before I apply.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:08 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2019
Position: Poolside

No way to tell that...although my bet is that almost any office that employs GAO inspectors probably has a need. One of the toughest positions to keep filled.

Just apply, get rated, and then see who comes calling, or stop in at your preferred FSDO and let them know you’re in the pool. You can always say no if you need to...
Old 08-07-2019, 04:19 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2016

Originally Posted by FlyingRooster View Post
Hi All,

does anyone have a list of current FSDO's that are hiring for the ASI-GAO positions? I emailed the FDSO address on the FAA website but they just linked me to the usajobs website and said that I needed to apply first.

I'm more interested in seeing what offices are looking to hire though before I apply.

Thanks in advance.

There’s also a sort of direct hire option now through the FSDO manager but you can only do it if you haven’t done a USA Jobs app. I’d call the FSDO of your choice first and see if they have a need. Most do and many are saying the shortage of GA Ops has reached a crisis point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2019, 04:23 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2014
Position: Cubicle dweller

Hi All,

Thanks in advance.

What office are you interested in?
Old 08-07-2019, 06:51 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Aug 2018

Originally Posted by MidwestXLguy View Post
What office are you interested in?
Reno, Fresno, Oakland, Sacramento

Thanks...

I did apply last year (September) but couldn't get off work to make the interview in Dallas... so they dropped my application.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:08 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2014
Position: Cubicle dweller

Reno, Fresno, Oakland, Sacramento

Thanks...

I did apply last year (September) but couldn't get off work to make the interview in Dallas... so they dropped my application.

I know Oakland has openings
Old 08-07-2019, 07:50 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2007

There are over 160 open GA OPS positions so the odds are that your particular FSDO has a need. OAK, Fresno, SAC all have needs. Flight Standards has recently implemented an On The Spot (OTS) hiring process. Contact the FSDO manager, see if they have a need and inquire about the process. This allows the Manager to hire directly and circumvent the USA Jobs process. If you rate high enough you may qualify at the GS 12-5 level. Make sure your resume reflects your qualifications to the 12 level. If not, you still be be able to come in at an 11-5. If you apply through USA Jobs you can NOT be brought in under the OTS process.