Notices
Cargo Part 121 cargo airlines

FDX MEC disability coverage versus ALPA

Old 09-24-2012, 07:33 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: MD11FO
Default FDX MEC disability coverage versus ALPA

I'm looking for feedback on which product most guys choose. I've been covered by the ALPA plan and was just recently made aware of the FDX MEC aetna plan. Guess I've had my head in the sand. Anyway the aetna plan seems much more robust and so I'm curious what others think about it.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:49 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: 767 FO

Along this subject, when I look at the ALPA profile page, it looks like I am paying 1100 bucks a year for 1200 bucks a month loss of license insurance. seems like a lot.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:13 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006

Originally Posted by CargoCan View Post
I'm looking for feedback on which product most guys choose. I've been covered by the ALPA plan and was just recently made aware of the FDX MEC aetna plan. Guess I've had my head in the sand. Anyway the aetna plan seems much more robust and so I'm curious what others think about it.

The Big Difference is the MEC Plan is designed specifically for FedEx pilots and is a supplemental policy to the LTD in the Contract.
The MEC policy has an election to 60 or 65 option and a 1 or 2 year waiting period.

I am not 100% sure but, most of the National policies are for 5 years or until you find another job.
ALPA National has a plethora of Policies and most Disability insurance is expensive.(but necessary for most of us)

Recommend you email our FDX R&I committee reps with your questions then you can call/email National insurance reps and ask them questions about National coverage. Compare and make your own informed decision.

Don't ask for advice or guidance on this forum
Old 09-24-2012, 08:27 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 767 Captain

Originally Posted by RedeyeAV8r View Post
NONSENSE!!! We give great advice that you can bet your li..... ah, crap I just spilled my beer.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:37 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by RedeyeAV8r View Post
The Big Difference is the MEC Plan is designed specifically for FedEx pilots and is a supplemental policy to the LTD in the Contract.
The MEC policy has an election to 60 or 65 option and a 1 or 2 year waiting period.

I am not 100% sure but, most of the National policies are for 5 years or until you find another job.
ALPA National has a plethora of Policies and most Disability insurance is expensive.(but necessary for most of us)

Recommend you email our FDX R&I committee reps with your questions then you can call/email National insurance reps and ask them questions about National coverage. Compare and make your own informed decision.

Thanks Redeye. I'm really not looking for advice or guidance on this forum, but rather what people think about one versus the other. I've already gathered my facts. Now I'm looking for opinions. Rumor is people occasionally post their opinions on this board.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:39 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by FDXLAG View Post
Along this subject, when I look at the ALPA profile page, it looks like I am paying 1100 bucks a year for 1200 bucks a month loss of license insurance. seems like a lot.
Thanks FDXLAG. This is more in line with with what I'm getting at.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:17 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: 1559

For those that have the LTD, formerly Harvey Watt, now ALPA: When you go to My ALPA page and look at your insurance coverages, do you have a dollar amount on the line for LTD - FedEx? I have amounts for the Life Member and Life Spouse. but not the LTD.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:32 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006

Originally Posted by MX727 View Post
For those that have the LTD, formerly Harvey Watt, now ALPA: When you go to My ALPA page and look at your insurance coverages, do you have a dollar amount on the line for LTD - FedEx? I have amounts for the Life Member and Life Spouse. but not the LTD.
First off you need to be sure or clarify what you have.
Many FDX pilots confuse between ALPA & MEC products.

There are ALPA National policies, both life and LOL disability.
There are specific FDX MEC policies managed by ALPA, both life and LTD supplemental ( tailored to our contract)

The FDX MEC life shows a Dollar amount for you & spouse(if elected).

The FDX MEC supplemental LTD policy does not have an amount since it is based on the previous 18 months of income prior to a medical event. You should see a waiting period of 12 or 24 months next to it, which is what you elected well as to Age 60 or 65, again whatever you selected.

If you have an ALPA National Loss of License Policy, you should see a dollar amount on whatever you elected your flat monthly pay out.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:47 AM
Gets Weekends Off

The FedEx MEC LTD (Aetna) is a much better plan for us. Recommend 12 month elimination period. I plan on retiring at 60 but signed up for the age 65 option in case plans change. If you don't have an LTD supplemental plan, you need to get one.

I don't have the loss of license plan; didn't think it was much of a value.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:50 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: B777 Captain

Opinion: I don't think there is a comparison. The MEC plan is dramatically better. It is like comparing a tricycle to a Harley.