Notices
Aviation Law Legal issues, FARs, and questions

Single aircraft part 135 operation

Old 01-09-2013, 09:22 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2009
Position: Director of Operations CE-750 Captain
Default Single aircraft part 135 operation

I am considering purchasing a single plane part 135 company and have a few concerns, the first being is that now it is a single engine airplane on the certificate and I want to know how much is involved to change to a multi engine aircraft (Navajo) and also how hard to add coverage to the operating area (Bahamas). The final concern is there a problem changing FSDO's. Thanks for any help in this matter
Old 01-09-2013, 10:35 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2009

Originally Posted by wjl408 View Post
I am considering purchasing a single plane part 135 company and have a few concerns, the first being is that now it is a single engine airplane on the certificate and I want to know how much is involved to change to a multi engine aircraft (Navajo) and also how hard to add coverage to the operating area (Bahamas). The final concern is there a problem changing FSDO's. Thanks for any help in this matter
Read through Part 135. When you go from single engine to multi, all kinds of regs change as far as paperwork is concerned, as well as record keeping, training, maint, etc. It's a pretty big leap to add an engine, and the ops manual will have to be rewritten and the resubmitted for approval through the FSDO. The particualar operation may have limitations within their certificate that preclude doing that as well.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:05 AM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by Grumble View Post
Read through Part 135. When you go from single engine to multi, all kinds of regs change as far as paperwork is concerned, as well as record keeping, training, maint, etc. It's a pretty big leap to add an engine, and the ops manual will have to be rewritten and the resubmitted for approval through the FSDO. The particualar operation may have limitations within their certificate that preclude doing that as well.
Its my understanding that with a single airplane and single pilot there is no GOM just your Op specs that the FAA issues to you, also there are no training manuals required.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:52 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2012
Position: BE40 Left

I fly Navajos 5 days a week and unless you're gonna make a nice profit with what you plan on doing, choose a different aircraft. Although they're very solid, well built planes, they're gas guzzlers and parts are becoming harder and harder to find (even in the boneyards).
Old 01-09-2013, 12:08 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2009

I think you are looking at a Single-Pilot or Single PIC operation in the FAA eyes.

Buying any Part 135 certificate is not an easy transfer. You should run it by your FSDO. Most likely they will have you do or redo all the steps to get a Single-Pilot or Single PIC Air Carrier Certificate.
If the seller is placing a high dollar amount on the certificate it may not be a good buy for you.

The FAA is picky on the aircraft. It needs to know that the aircraft is in annual, 100 hour, all AD’s and Service Bulletins need to be complied with. They may need all the serial numbers from all components like mags, ELT, etc. even if the aircraft has been in use by a Part 135 operation. The do an in person conformity check where they look the aircraft over for any visible squawks. Missing screens, cracked interior plastic items can raise red flags. If the interior has been redone you will need the burn-certificates for the new interior fabrics etc. Purchasers get burned (no pun) when they buy an aircraft for Part 135 and a car shop has redone the interior and no one has any burn certification documents. Engine times must be below TBO or 12 years whichever comes first. Most mfgs use 12 years but check it out.

There is basically NO Part 135 instrument flying in SE aircraft with PAX perhaps except for C-208 and Pilatus. You need DME or IFR GPS if you do instrument flying under Part 135.

Single Pilot means single pilot who is named on the OPSpecs.

Single PIC can have I believe up to 3 SIC’s ( a training manual may be needed)

Both of the operations listed above need Letters of compliance for Part 119, 135, some of Part 43.
A letter of compliance is basically rewriting each reg and stated how you will comply with it.
An MEL is good to have. Ex. if a NAV light is out you can’t even fly in the daytime without an MEL. An MEL will state what you can and cannot do. If the Transponder is out you will need a lot of verbiage explaining in the MEL what you can do.

I have done the paperwork for several small operators. PM me if you have questions.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:38 PM
Line Holder

Thw aircraft was on a 135 certificate with a company that I worked for that closed it doors after 58 years. I would be getting the aircraft with 0 SMOH on the engines 0 SPOH, fresh paint and annual. The price of the single engine 135 certificate is really cheap currently operating with a Piper Arrow, the corporation that owns the certificate has no debt no violations with the FAA and in good standing with the local FSDO. I think I will contact our local FSDO tomorrow, I appreciate your reply
Old 01-09-2013, 06:34 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: Volleyball Player

Originally Posted by wjl408 View Post
Thw aircraft was on a 135 certificate with a company that I worked for that closed it doors after 58 years. I would be getting the aircraft with 0 SMOH on the engines 0 SPOH, fresh paint and annual. The price of the single engine 135 certificate is really cheap currently operating with a Piper Arrow, the corporation that owns the certificate has no debt no violations with the FAA and in good standing with the local FSDO. I think I will contact our local FSDO tomorrow, I appreciate your reply
Ask the FSDO, but realize there's a wealth of info they can't answer, because it depends on the aircraft. There's all sorts of stuff you might think you know about the aircraft, but unless you are an A&P and really know the aircraft, you could be getting a neverending nightmare. Who rebuild the engine? Approved parts? Serial numbers? Are there any unapproved parts or improper maintenance? The aircraft may be perfectly "airworthy" in a mechanical sense, but due to how the maintenance was done, it might be a can of worms. While this is important and may or may not be a big deal, it will be a big deal if you don't catch any inconsistencies and technicalities before you start operating.

Some FSDOs won't let you add an aircraft to a certificate due to their workload. They'll kind of put you on a "wishlist" and get to you when they can get to you. It's under staffing and not having enough money to support all that we want to support at once. Just like a pilot, we have to prioritize and try to win the battles that we can win, until we can make room for something else.

Have you calculated engine-reserve, cost per hour, recurrent training costs, hangaring, reoccurring maintenance events, insurance, fuel costs, etc?

Changing the operating certificate, different FSDOs, operating in that area overwater and possibly IFR, and adding a new aircraft all add a lot of complexity to this issue. If you were just "taking over" with the same aircraft, that would be a different issue IMO.

It sounds like you are on the right track by asking the FSDO. Remember, they can't give you other people's operating certs or opspecs to copy, but they can tell you if it's feasible to add aircraft, take over, possible changes, etc.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:30 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2011

Add Content
Old 01-10-2013, 02:38 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2011
Default Single aircraft part 135 operation

In addition to all it has been mention above, Refer to 8900.1 Web Document. You will find lots of regulatory information regarding air charter operations.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:26 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: JAFO- First Observer

Be very careful with this one! It is more complicated that you think! Read the fine print on the Air Carrier Certificate. An Air Carrier certificate has no monetary value. It is non-transferrable. If an air carrier desires to sell company assets, such as an aircraft, hangar etc, that may be permissible with certain restrictions. It is required that an air carrier has at least one "exclusive use" aircraft. That means that at least one aircraft must be owned or leased and it's primary use is for air carrier operations. The FSDO evaluates all aircraft leases to ensure that this "exclusive use" requirement is met and that "operational control" is maintained by the air carrier. Simply "buying" a 135 Certificate is not legally possible. Recommend you research 14 CFR Parts 119 and 135 very carefully and also FAA Order 8900.1. Typically if more than 50% of the required management personnel at an Air Carrier changes at one time, a re-certification may be required.