Notices
Major Legacy, National, and LCC

Jumpseat Question?

Old 11-16-2006, 06:10 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Default Jumpseat Question?

Could someone explain to me what it means for an airline to be a CASS participant.

Thanks
Old 11-16-2006, 06:25 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: SWA/FO

It a nutshell, it means that your picture and employment status is checked on a national database that is updated 3 times daily. You check in for a jumpseat, they check your picture, you get to jump up front if there are no seats in back. It allows offline carriers jumpseat access which has been gone since 9/11. It's not perfect, but better then nothing.

Not all airlines participate.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:35 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by tjunior View Post
Could someone explain to me what it means for an airline to be a CASS participant.

Thanks

More to the point...what does it mean to be a non-cass participant: You cannot jumpseat on any carrier except your own or certain codeshares (like a major partner). This probably includes cabin as well as cockpit.

In plain english: No CASS = you are scr*wed.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:06 AM
Chief Jeppesen Updater

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: Executive Transport Driver

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
More to the point...what does it mean to be a non-cass participant: You cannot jumpseat on any carrier except your own or certain codeshares (like a major partner). This probably includes cabin as well as cockpit.

Unless things have changed in the past 12 months (since I was able to jumpseat), I never previously had an issue jumpseating offline while working for a non-cass airline. Just means that you can't ride in the cockpit. I would imagine that just about every unionized carrier out there that has established jumpseat agreements have protocols for allowing non-participating pilots into seats in the cabin.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:30 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by FlyerJosh View Post
Unless things have changed in the past 12 months (since I was able to jumpseat), I never previously had an issue jumpseating offline while working for a non-cass airline. Just means that you can't ride in the cockpit. I would imagine that just about every unionized carrier out there that has established jumpseat agreements have protocols for allowing non-participating pilots into seats in the cabin.
I think that when they went to the mandatory CASS database photo requirement a few months ago, it may have precluded no-cass (hence no photo) pilots from JS-ing period. We are still in a transition period period from, and several carriers are having problems. I haven't done it offline in a while so not 100% sure. Anyone?
Old 11-17-2006, 09:59 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: DD->DH->RU/XE soon to be EV

....Not true.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:48 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: DHC-8 FO

Is there some list of CASS participating airlines somewhere?
Old 11-17-2006, 10:58 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2005
Position: 717 FO >>>> 737 FO

I think that when they went to the mandatory CASS database photo requirement a few months ago, it may have precluded no-cass (hence no photo) pilots from JS-ing period. We are still in a transition period period from, and several carriers are having problems. I haven't done it offline in a while so not 100% sure. Anyone?
I just used DAL to get to ATL last weekend - They use the CASS database you mentioned and I am not CASS - I got to ride in the back as usual but they did want to see my passport for the number - So Non-Cass is ok just bring the pasport from now on (which is a CASS requirement anyway).
- BCD
Old 11-17-2006, 12:16 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: DD->DH->RU/XE soon to be EV

Originally Posted by MustangFa1con View Post
Is there some list of CASS participating airlines somewhere?
Airlinepilotcentral.info I believe has a list.