Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Cargo
Worst Cargo Airlines to fly for (Pay,QOL,ETC) >

Worst Cargo Airlines to fly for (Pay,QOL,ETC)

Search
Notices
Cargo Part 121 cargo airlines

Worst Cargo Airlines to fly for (Pay,QOL,ETC)

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 08:07 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2017

Originally Posted by 767pilot View Post
How many went back?
You're replying to a thread from 2013. Everyone who commented here is dead and gone.
Old 12-22-2018, 08:01 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2005
Position: 767 captain

Originally Posted by kolt66 View Post
You're replying to a thread from 2013. Everyone who commented here is dead and gone.
No, I know that the guy did that made that claim is alive and well.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:43 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2019

Goa, Johnsburg, West Indies
Old 04-06-2019, 01:40 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2008

Originally Posted by kolt66 View Post
You're replying to a post replying to a post in 2013.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:13 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008

Originally Posted by Max Glide View Post
You're replying to a post replying to a post in 2013.
Took you 4 months to come up with that?
Old 05-22-2021, 03:19 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: May 2021
Default UPS vs FedEX

Originally Posted by freightretriever View Post
You obviously don't work for UPS. The ONLY great thing about UPS is the paycheck (for now, we will see how long that lasts). Everything else completely sucks for anyone in the bottom 300 and anyone to be hired (if they ever hire again, still have 48 guys furloughed). QOL is by far the worse I've ever had. UPS=Misery if you are junior. Study the demographics of the group very carefully. You will be junior your entire career if we ever hire again. I'm sure some senior guy will chime in and say what a great place UPS is but be warned their experience will not be your experience. Again, paycheck - great for now. Everything else, not so much. And after a while the money isn't worth it either. Do yourself a favor and go fly for a real airline.
FedEx vs UPS, which best, in terms of QOL, Work culture, pay, etc
Old 05-22-2021, 09:34 AM
done, gone skiing

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Rocking chair

This is a hard question to get a truly meaningful answer because any pilot who has worked at both carriers and could possibly share a POV that reflected time at both will have a (natural) bias against one (presumably the one they no longer work for). Someone who is married to a pilot at the other airline would be a better source as (again, a presumption) they would share experiences and could get a more balanced view from their spouse that would have less bias about the positives and negatives of their respective employer. IMHO, Fedex (the only one I've worked for) is a good shop with very good near to middle term prospects. Growth is good, projected to be good for a while, and if that's the number one issue for you, than you can't go wrong (unless you can, because nothing in the future is assured ) Biggest negative, and has been as long as I can remember is pilot unity at the union/association level. Advancements in QOL level issues is at best frozen (still better than many, as best as I can tell) but no real solution to keep it from deterioration other than managements wish not to kick the hornets nest. Retirement, the gold standard until a couple years ago is rapidly becoming no better than industry standard and possibly falling behind. No consensus among the pilot group about the fix and the company will play that for all its worth. Others may disagree, my opinion only.
Old 05-22-2021, 09:50 AM
Occasional box hauler

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by Frieghtjunkie View Post
FedEx vs UPS, which best, in terms of QOL, Work culture, pay, etc
QOL: They are close enough that this will be driven more by you than the company/contract. One man’s trash, etc.
Work Culture: FedEx management has a significantly “friendlier” to pilots outlook compared to UPS currently. However, the IPA is probably the best/most unified pilot union out there.
Pay: Roughly equal. FedEx has a 75 B scale while everything at UPS pays the same. At UPS we are on a 2 year extension signed just as Covid hit, so our pay will continue to increase (4% this year & 3% next year), but FedEx will hopefully one up us soon.
Retirement: Depends on how long you will be with them.FedEx retirement is weighted more towards the pension right now. So the shorter your career the greater advantage to FedEx’s retirement plan. UPS is weighted more towards the B plan. Due to time value of money, the longer your career the more the advantages swing to UPS. Where the breakeven point is depends on what assumptions you use for investment returns.
Domiciles: Pure personal preference. FedEx has Cologne and Hong Kong domicile options while UPS domiciles are all stateside. Some people think that’s awesome, some don’t.

Long story short, if you currently hate your life, these companies won’t make you happy. If you know how to make the best of a situation, these companies offer a cornucopia of great opportunities.
Old 05-22-2021, 01:48 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Originally Posted by tnkrdrvr View Post
However, the IPA is probably the best/most unified pilot union out there.
It's truly an admirable accomplishment that I can only appreciate from a distance. But I must say, well done. This is your super power.
Old 05-22-2021, 02:21 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: 747

Holy thread resurrection!!