Notices
Technical Technical aspects of flying

Aviation Headsets

Old 05-27-2013, 10:42 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: May 2013
Default Aviation Headsets

Hi, I just started training for a private pilot certificate. I don't really like how clunky these aviation headsets are. I know a lot of people like the ones made by Bose, but as nice as the technology it has, I think it's still pretty clunky.

I've seen some of the ones that they use in the airline flight decks and those either look like they have only one ear muff or they have two ear muffs but are not too clunky.

My questions is, is there a reason genera aviation headsets are so clunky? Anyone have any recommendations for not so clunky headsets?

Thanks, any info would be great.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:26 AM
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

A lot of general aviation pilots like Clarity Aloft.

Clarity Aloft™ Aviation Headsets

If you don't want over the ear or on the ear, then it's in the ear.

Bose are quite comfortable.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:52 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: yes

General aviation aircraft in my experience are generally noisier than the flight deck of an airliner (not all, but most). In most cases the over the ear headset provides more passive noise reduction over say a plantronics or telex low profile headset. Having said this, I'm a huge proponent of the Clarity Aloft because it is as quiet as they advertise it to be. Another advantage of not wearing the headclamps is not having a sweltering ring of sweat around your ears during the summer months, or in tropical climates.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:07 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jun 2013

I have the bose Q15 with the uflymike adapter. This a very light over the ear headset combo that you can use when you are the pilot and then you can unplug the mike and use it as a noise canceling headset when traveling as a passenger. Not perfect but I like it.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:03 PM
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

I use the QC15 with the uflymic as well. I've used them for several years and am quite happy with the arrangement. I especially like the small space they take up in a flight bag, as well as the utility when not actually flying, and the clarity of sound. They're quiet, too.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:54 AM
Layover Master

Joined APC: Jan 2013
Position: Seated

I've been selling people on the QC15 set up for a while now..... and well, not anymore. Yesterday they broke. One of the earpieces just quit working out of the blue. They are less than two years old, but out of warranty so Bose will not fix or replace them. Awesome. Buyer beware. (FWIW, always kept in case, no scratches or other obvious wear).
Old 06-05-2013, 07:00 AM
Layover Master

Joined APC: Jan 2013
Position: Seated

The main reason they are so clunky is passive noise reduction. Wear a pair of Telex 750's on a two hour GA flight and tell me about your headache afterwards.
No so clunky... the Lightspeed Mach 1's seemed nice, but they discontinued them in 2011. Might be able to still find some.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:15 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2012
Position: LR35

I've used DCs for years and I've been pleased with them.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:58 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2013

I used the Bose X for most of my GA flying then sold them on eBay when I started 121 flying. Sold them for about $50 cheaper than what I paid for them and they were 2 years old. Well worth the money. I use Telex 850's now and am very pleased.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:14 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2010
Position: right seat

I second the qc15 and ufly mike . Great for all aircraft I have flown including single and twin turbine . Best bang for your buck and comfy !!