Notices
Leaving the Career Alternative careers for pilots

Hopefully railroad

Old 03-21-2014, 10:28 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2013
Default Hopefully railroad

After years of applying...i finally got called for a railroad interview. I hope it pans out. Im currently in training at a 121 regional about week 5. Starting sims after a short break. I have to say im not enjoying myself. My entire background was bush flying professionally prior to this.....I've found the adjustment to "normal" flying very difficult.......short of going back to Alaska.....i would love to work on the railroad and just be active in general aviation. If it doesn't work out with a job offer.....I'm going to go back to bush flying....probably in Africa this go around. Any other rail or bush guys on here?
Old 03-22-2014, 06:38 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: CRJ
Default Hopefully railroad

I have been applying for years. Norfolk Southern and CSX. No luck at all. Congrats man.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:04 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2012
Position: ERJ

I was called for an interview with Norfolk Southern last year, having no aviation work experience before that point. I bombed the interview badly. I have no clue how they choose their applicants, but one thing is for certain: they strongly desire individuals with a military background. If you have experience with heavy experience such as airplanes and stress the safety and regulatory aspect, you stand a strong chance of being called for an interview.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:13 AM
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Bush Flying

I know what you mean. After flying the bush 121 is a major drag. I expected it though. In college they told us that "getting there wasn't half the fun but rather all the fun". I did however expect to earn more and to have a better lifestyle in trade. Good luck with the railroad. I have a friend who got on with them and his life is much better.

Skyhigh
Old 04-01-2014, 03:14 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: EMB175 CA

I interviewed at Union Pacific, they asked if I was afraid of heights. I, in turn asked if they saw what my current career was. They don't like the witty answer I guess. Didn't get hired......completely my fault.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:04 AM
Flies for Fun

Joined APC: May 2012
Position: CE-172 Heavy

I heard there was a pre-employment railroad test one took via your PC and if you happened to get hired, they gave you this test again in indoc and compared answers to see if you might have cheated on the first test. If the two scores were much different they showed you the door. Any truth to that?
Old 04-05-2014, 10:15 PM
Line Holder

Didnt get the first job.....but have another RR interview in chicago on the 10th....maybe second times a charm.

I think thats true....may ne CSX that does the online written then gives you the same in INDOC
Old 04-10-2014, 02:25 PM
New Hire

I live in Fort Worth, and my neighbor works for BNSF (headquartered here). He told me that BNSF will be hiring an additional 3500 people in the near future. Depending on what you do in the railroad though, life can be a lot like working at the airline - especially if you are in operations. Lots of days on the road, coupled with frequent household moves.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:28 PM
New Hire

Originally Posted by pitpilotc9 View Post
I live in Fort Worth, and my neighbor works for BNSF (headquartered here). He told me that BNSF will be hiring an additional 3500 people in the near future. Depending on what you do in the railroad though, life can be a lot like working at the airline - especially if you are in operations. Lots of days on the road, coupled with frequent household moves.
Quick edit - I was wrong - 5000 new jobs for BNSF in 2014. Link follows:

BNSF CEO says railroad will hire 5,000 workers in 2014 | Business | Dallas Business, Tex...#
Old 04-10-2014, 03:07 PM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by pitpilotc9 View Post
Quick edit - I was wrong - 5000 new jobs for BNSF in 2014. Link follows:

BNSF CEO says railroad will hire 5,000 workers in 2014 | Business | Dallas Business, Tex...#
Im cool with that....i want a similar life style....i want to travel and such...except i would like pay and benefits..the RR offers its employees that.......few airlines do.