Notices
Leaving the Career Alternative careers for pilots

Last trip

Old 04-02-2014, 03:50 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2014

Congrats on the big move. I'm sure you will have no regrets in the end.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:51 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: EMB175 CA

Congrats on the move, I may need a lawyer if life at the regionals doesn't get any better!
Old 04-04-2014, 08:34 AM
Somewhere in Europe

Joined APC: Jan 2010
Position: A330 FO

If you can get a better quality of life out of it and a decent wage, then more power to you.

Just don't forget us little people in aviation when you are sitting in your big office on the 20th floor and the Mercedes parked in the garage!

The interview process alone was eye opening. So much respect and professionalism!
I used to work in a corporate job before I got into driving jets for a living. You'll find people are generally a lot more formal in the corporate world, which frankly, has its advantages.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:21 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2014

Originally Posted by Toasty View Post
If you can get a better quality of life out of it and a decent wage, then more power to you.

Just don't forget us little people in aviation when you are sitting in your big office on the 20th floor and the Mercedes parked in the garage!

I used to work in a corporate job before I got into driving jets for a living. You'll find people are generally a lot more formal in the corporate world, which frankly, has its advantages.
I was in the corporate world, as well, and looking forward to the return!

Also, it's the 25th floor and BMW. Please. Do I look like trash?
Old 04-04-2014, 02:29 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2014

Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
I know what you're talking about missing the good stuff, and I hope you enjoy your great last trip.

I can remember one of my last trips. I'd been hired at my new non-flying job and but was still awaiting a start date. I was flying a leg into Miami, looking down on South Beach as I rolled out base to final, the weather was gorgeous, the water was crystal clear, the winds were light, and the plane was all trimmed up and ready for landing. In that one moment, everything with the pilot life was right...and if I could guarantee that feeling on every trip, gah, i'd have stayed. I turned to the CA and said "Boy...I'm gonna miss this, right here." And 5 years later, that's about the only part of the job I miss...the rest of the BS they have you put up with, flush i, cause you won't miss that at all!

I read your message on about day 2 of 4 and it ran through my head the next couple of days as I flew over the west coast, thinking of what I would miss. Then, last night, after my last leg and my goodbye to the jet, I was pretty down. I'll admit, there were tears. I almost posted a reply about how unsure I felt about my decision, but I am glad that I didn't. I feel much better now after some rest.

I had 3 sunny days and one day that started in icing and snow in KDEN but ended in LAX sun. Fun captain, despite being a bit pervy, good FAs. Great jets. A misty eyed final landing. I thought... why isn't it always like this! I almost wish my last trip had been bad, just to make it easier. But, then again, my last trip was good in ways I could never recreate on purpose (lucked into a transition trip, lucked into good crews, lucked into good weather and good aircraft).

It was also good because I didn't feel that overriding tension that is part of every day. When will I upgrade? Will I make the majors? Are they going to JM me when I get back? Are they going to displace me (funny story below)? Am I going to make it home tonight? Am I going to make it back to work in two days? What is my schedule next month? Will I be able to drop that drip that overlaps my friend's wedding? How am I going to pay rent? Hell, I bought the crew dinner my last night because I knew I could pay for it now.

So, funny story, my last day - they sent out an announcement. Had I stayed, I would have been displaced. Thanks for helping me know I made the right choice, airline!
Old 04-04-2014, 08:36 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008

That's funny about the displacement email. A month after I left my airline I got a call from crew scheduling asking me if I wanted to work a trip? hahaha... Was a great feeling telling them "Um no thanks!"