Notices
Pilot Health FAA medical; health topics

Deaf in one ear -

Old 07-18-2014, 07:51 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jul 2014
Default Deaf in one ear -

If I am profoundly deaf in one ear, namely, my left ear, do I still have a shot at becoming an airline pilot? This question has been on my mind since the day I've gotten myself involved within the aviation community. By the way, I'm new to Airline Pilot Central Forums. Thank for your future assistance.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:08 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: 7th green

Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
If I am profoundly deaf in one ear, namely, my left ear, do I still have a shot at becoming an airline pilot? This question has been on my mind since the day I've gotten myself involved within the aviation community. By the way, I'm new to Airline Pilot Central Forums. Thank for your future assistance.
Except for the military I have never had my hearing tested for a first class medical.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:58 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: Window Seat

Originally Posted by Packrat View Post
Except for the military I have never had my hearing tested for a first class medical.
You're supposed to get it tested according to 67.105(a). A cursory reading suggests that one ear is sufficient so long as the test is conducted in accordance with 67.105(a)(2). Hopefully an AME can provide more details.

In my practical experience I've always been tested with the method in 67.105(a)(1) aka. "Can you hear me now?... Good".
Old 07-19-2014, 01:30 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2009
Position: Ask scheduling

I am 100% deaf in my left ear. I have been an airline pilot for the past 7 years. Regional and major. As long as you can "carry on a conversation in a normal tone", you're good to go. You can't be a truck driver, but you can be an airline Captain.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:16 AM
New Hire

Wow! That is a good sign. I honestly thought the airline's hearing standards would disqualify me on the spot.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:34 AM
New Hire

Originally Posted by aviatorhi View Post
You're supposed to get it tested according to 67.105(a). A cursory reading suggests that one ear is sufficient so long as the test is conducted in accordance with 67.105(a)(2). Hopefully an AME can provide more details.

In my practical experience I've always been tested with the method in 67.105(a)(1) aka. "Can you hear me now?... Good".
My hearing is no issue at all. I can hear perfectly well, even in a loud environment. I can't justify it as an issue. I take it if you can hear ATC, and your buddy beside you, you should be A OK.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:32 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Packrat View Post
Originally Posted by aviatorhi View Post

Testing is required. My old AME used the machine, which was kind of nice because it showed trends so you could identify any hearing loss.

They can also test you verbally apparently, my new AME seems to do that...if I can carry on a conversation, I'm good.

I suspect that good hearing one ear would be enough, but ask an AME. Worst case you could probably get a Special Issuance medical, but it would be better just to have a "clean" medical. You'll need a first class for airlines.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:48 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008

To the OP:

My father is completely deaf in one ear, and can pass a 1st class. The only test he can't pass for the hearing portion is the headphones with the beeps and tones.

So it's very possible to hold a 1st class with being deaf in one ear. Good luck to you.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:49 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013
Position: FAA ATSI VSRP ERC

Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
If I am profoundly deaf in one ear, namely, my left ear, do I still have a shot at becoming an airline pilot? ...By the way, I'm new to Airline Pilot Central Forums. Thank for your future assistance.
Sounds like you are more qualified to be in the left seat than the right?

Sorry for being an ass. Welcome to APC.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:20 PM
New Hire

Smile

Originally Posted by Bilsch View Post
Sounds like you are more qualified to be in the left seat than the right?

Sorry for being an ass. Welcome to APC.
Lol! I understand exactly what you mean. I get that joke all the time!
Well, if all the hearing test entails is being able to have a conversation with my back turned to the examiner at a distance of 6 feet, I should be fit to earn the 1st class medical without a hitch.