Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Mokulele Airlines

Old 07-08-2015, 09:48 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2015

I'm a current Mokulele Street captain. We just hired about 20+ FOs due to expansion. Probably more hiring soon because a lot of us will be going to regionals or budget carriers. Right now the hiring responsibility is being moved from the Chief to the director of training so I'll check back here if anyone wants an email address for the hiring guy. I would suggest try and get in quickly as the rumor floating around is that they want a minimum of 500 hours rather than just the usual 250. If you're in Hawaii you should just go to their airport office in Kona and drop a resume.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:35 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2014

I live in Hawaii and have been applying for 6 months but can't for the life of me get any response. I have some caravan time as well. Any advice ? Could I get that email?
Old 07-08-2015, 06:53 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2014

It is ironic for me because I applied here but never heard back after my phone interview, but Mokulele is now providing Caravans to Sun Air Express on a wet lease out of Pittsburgh, which is where I am from... So had I been hired, I could have been brought back home...

But Willflyforspam, how is that working? Are they rotating crews through PIT or have they set up a more permanent base there? It would be amazing to see Mokulele grow into the PIT market themselves as they would be the best operation out there in my opinion to do what Sun Air set out to originally do.

Are street captains hired at the 37,000 rate or do they pay more for people coming in already at ATP mins?
Old 07-08-2015, 10:05 PM
Gets Weekends Off

The PIT operation is doing very very well and there are plans (confirmed plans) for other mainland bases. i actually don't know if it's supposed to be public knowledge just yet but i can say it's in the south and it's plenty sunny where the new base will be . As for the PIT crews, there are no rotations at all. They'll often ask if anyone wants to do some time up there but most guys pass on the offer. A majority of the pilots that go between Hawaii and PIT are check airman.

Yes the pay is around 37k starting. If you sign a 2 year contract I think it's around 43k-ish. FO pay is 18k. That is LOW for Hawaii. Even PIC pay is low for Hawaii living. I'm from here so my rent is little to none. BUT, new FOs make it work and I think that's fricking awesome and I admire it. I got hired about 6 months ago and the FOs that were in my class are closing in on 1000 hours. I got hired right at 1200 after being an SIC for a medevac and night cargo operations. Maui and Kona bases are junior. There's no getting around that. If you're a street captain then you might get Oahu. I got Oahu immediately because that was the only condition I had when I got hired. To be honest though, Maui and Kona are much cheaper places to live. Oahu is stupid pricey. Upgrade happens right at 1200. Literally. They ask all the line captains to fill out evals and if they all give you the thumbs up, you'll get a call to schedule upgrade training. Snorkel/surf part of the day and fly a caravan the rest of the day. Not a bad gig eh? I know some of you PM'd me with questions so I'll work on replying.

Best benefit of all? CASS. Yeah, I said it. Our jumpseat coordinator busts his a** to get us agreements with all the majors and big cargo names. We also get idtravel benefits for family and a guest after 6 months. A lot of guys aren't here on their days off as they just hop on a flight to see the world. Once again, not bad eh?
Hope this helps.

Last edited by WillFlyForSpam; 07-08-2015 at 10:20 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:29 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2015
Position: C207

What are the schedules like? Also, what are the chances of a newhire getting a PIT base?
Old 07-09-2015, 10:43 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2014
Position: CRJ-200 Right Seat

Originally Posted by WillFlyForSpam View Post
The PIT operation is doing very very well and there are plans (confirmed plans) for other mainland bases. i actually don't know if it's supposed to be public knowledge just yet but i can say it's in the south and it's plenty sunny where the new base will be . As for the PIT crews, there are no rotations at all. They'll often ask if anyone wants to do some time up there but most guys pass on the offer. A majority of the pilots that go between Hawaii and PIT are check airman.
For PIT isn't Mokulele airlines operating Sun Air *cough* Gulfstream's routes a violation of the EAS contract with the subsidies city's/towns?
Old 07-09-2015, 12:39 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013
Position: Left Seat

Random question but are your Caravans G1000 equipped? I have a friend in California who flies a Caravan and he's looking for a change of pace and prefers the G1000 to the traditional analog.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:00 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Endeavor200 View Post
For PIT isn't Mokulele airlines operating Sun Air *cough* Gulfstream's routes a violation of the EAS contract with the subsidies city's/towns?
I just fly the plane.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:01 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Fetzervalve View Post
Random question but are your Caravans G1000 equipped? I have a friend in California who flies a Caravan and he's looking for a change of pace and prefers the G1000 to the traditional analog.
Hawaii is all g1000 and the mainland ops are analog.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:06 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2014

Originally Posted by Endeavor200 View Post
I was in a city for survey work that is served by mokulele's C208. Someone who I spoke with pretty much said that Sun Air's own plane were not physically capable of flying those routes during the winter in known icing conditions. Because of that reason, they had to bring on the mokulele 208's. What he was telling me was disgusting to hear. I consider this fact due to the position this guy had at the airport.

I don't have any direct experience with EAS routes, but I have gotten some info for them in past through PIT's PA connector initiative. IIRC, there are thresholds that if reached can allow a carrier to sub-contract out the flying for a given route. Every party involved on the route (airport, carriers, and FAA) all had to approve it though.