Notices
Part 91 and Low Time Jump pilots, crop dusting, and other Part 91 jobs

Is it hard to find CFI jobs?

Old 08-28-2014, 04:11 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Aug 2014
Position: Desk
Default Is it hard to find CFI jobs?

I'm a former regional F/O who may be getting back into the industry in a few years. With only about 850 hours TT in my logbook, I need to get myself recurrent and instruct for a little while (ironically, to build enough flight time to qualify for a job I used to do).

Once I get my instructor ticket, how hard (or easy) is it, typically, to find a CFI job? Am I going to be able to canvass a few FBOs and find a gig, or is it going to involve sending resumes all over the country? Just curious as to what other have experienced in their instructor days. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-28-2014, 06:47 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2009
Position: CRJ700 F/O
Default Is it hard to find CFI jobs?

You're probably better off if you're able to move to a big flight school that can load you with many students. Especially since you have almost 700 hours to build, you don't want to be flying 200 hours per year in a smaller city/flight school with a small student base.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:54 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2014

The Ohio State University is looking for instructors. They have way more students than they know what to do with and are double-booking students just to keep them flying. You would probably have a full load immediately upon hire.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:13 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: Cessna 172

I agree check big schools, instructors down at our school average 500 plus hours a year.. in the northeast on the coast where the mornings are foggy and the afternoons are stormy.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:29 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: I pilot

It just depends where you go and being at the right place at the right time, and being flexible with location. I lucked put and got hired at the place where I did my CFI, even though I hadn't even thought about working there and I was ready to head off to Texas, Arizona, Florida, etc where all the jobs seem to be. We hired just about everyone who did their CFI training with us and seemingly hired half the people who came in the door looking for a job. Fast forward a year later, we can't hire anyone new since we hired as many as we need. What I do know is that if you are flexible in location, you will find a CFI job.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:31 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2013

Instructors are wanted everywhere, you will have no problem finding a cfi gig!
good luck!
Old 08-28-2014, 12:34 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Aug 2014
Position: Desk

Thanks for all the replies! I appreciate the good feedback.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:44 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jul 2014

Come to Texas. There are CFI jobs aplenty
Old 08-29-2014, 02:45 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jul 2014

The Texas Flying Club in College Station, TX always needs instructors. Plus it's right next to a major university so there are lots of students.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:14 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2014
Position: Freight Dawg

Originally Posted by Rotator View Post
I'm a former regional F/O who may be getting back into the industry in a few years. With only about 850 hours TT in my logbook, I need to get myself recurrent and instruct for a little while (ironically, to build enough flight time to qualify for a job I used to do).

Once I get my instructor ticket, how hard (or easy) is it, typically, to find a CFI job? Am I going to be able to canvass a few FBOs and find a gig, or is it going to involve sending resumes all over the country? Just curious as to what other have experienced in their instructor days. Thanks in advance!
In between part 135 jobs I went back to flight instructing at Hillsboro Aviation in Hillsboro, Oregon. They train pilots for JAL, KAL and CAL. I was assigned five Chinese students for instrument training and flew 125 hours a month. Before entering part 135 I built time teaching at the University of North Dakota and Daniel Webster College. Big flight schools like the three where I worked are nice as they are part 141 and provide you with a syllabus and students. I spent a year teaching part 61 and barely flew. I had to get a job at the FBO to support myself. jsfirm.com is a free jobs website with lots of CFI jobs advertised. Good luck.