Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Career Builder > Flight Schools and Training
Thoughts on iPad for VFR Flight... >

Thoughts on iPad for VFR Flight...

Notices
Flight Schools and Training Ratings, building hours, airmanship, CFI topics

Thoughts on iPad for VFR Flight...

Old 08-31-2014, 08:34 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2013
Default Thoughts on iPad for VFR Flight...

So I'm renting 152's from a fairly large international flight school to build time. One of the policies there is that I have to have to use pilotage (lakes, cities,etc.) for my cross countries, in spite of me having a iPad with a external GPS.

Personally, I find this to be a hassle because IF the iPad did fail, I would still have a paper sectional for backup. I just don't see the point in wasting time using a plotter and calculating MH for even a short 20nm flight...not to mention I would be on FF and could ask ATC for a radar vector if it came down to that.

I just want to see y'alls view on this.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:43 PM
Slowing to holding speed

Joined APC: Feb 2013
Position: middle seat

Originally Posted by KF5OVP View Post
So I'm renting 152's from a fairly large international flight school to build time. One of the policies there is that I have to have to use pilotage (lakes, cities,etc.) for my cross countries, in spite of me having a iPad with a external GPS.

Personally, I find this to be a hassle because IF the iPad did fail, I would still have a paper sectional for backup. I just don't see the point in wasting time using a plotter and calculating MH for even a short 20nm flight...not to mention I would be on FF and could ask ATC for a radar vector if it came down to that.

Pilotage is flying off the sectional using lakes, cities, etc to figure out where you are on the map. As far as my understanding of the term, you're fine navigating map to ground without having measured courses. That being said, makes sense if they are going to have a blanket policy for all cross countries (short and long) to make sure renters demonstrate they know where they're going and how much gas they're going to burn etc. Gotta think that flight schools make their rules for the lowest common denominator in renters and not the experienced pilot.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:33 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: Window Seat

Originally Posted by Nextlife View Post
Gotta think that flight schools make their rules for the lowest common denominator in renters and not the experienced pilot.
Reminds me of the time an F-15 pilot ran a 152 out of gas.

In general (directed at everybody) if you have a problem with navigating the "old way" if someone asks you to please get out of aviation now.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:59 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Assuming you have at least a PPL, this seems a bit strange as a blanket policy. Typically as a student you should learn and be versed in Pilotage (Landmarks) and Dead Reckoning skills (Time/Speed/Distance) navigation. Most VFR X countries merge these methods (ETA to the landmark, Etc.) Was there something that prompted this, such as an instructor noticing an overreliance on the GPS? Additionally, What if... FF dropped you or you had a communications or even total electrical failure. All these and more will eventually happen, I pretty much guarantee it.

Last edited by Yoda2; 08-31-2014 at 11:14 PM. Reason: additional
Old 08-31-2014, 11:20 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: Captain CL-65

Originally Posted by aviatorhi View Post
Reminds me of the time an F-15 pilot ran a 152 out of gas.

In general (directed at everybody) if you have a problem with navigating the "old way" if someone asks you to please get out of aviation now.
^^^THIS... If your all about your GPS then fine, but I wanna fly with people that I know has all the knowledge of the backup to the backup because thats truly why they say "A good pilot is always learning" and if you didn't learn that then I'm not so sure what you did... Accident Chain
Old 09-01-2014, 01:36 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2014
Position: 737 FO

If you are a VFR-only pilot, use the windows (that's why you learned to fly, isn't it? The view?) and a watch, along with a map. Save the GPS for the IFR flying.

One day, you will yearn for the opportunity to fly a plane that only requires sunglasses and a headset.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:52 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: G550 & CL300 PIC

Originally Posted by OnCenterline View Post
One day, you will yearn for the opportunity to fly a plane that only requires sunglasses and a headset.
So true. I want to fly somewhere at 500' using a sectional, my eyes, and a clock.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:53 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2013

My point is that I prefer to go direct. I feel like if the iPad did fail, I still would have a sectional to look at, VOR,etc. I don't see the need in plotting courses. And I know how much gas I'm consuming. I can plot direct, I don't want to plot waypoints.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:53 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2014
Position: 737 FO

My point is that I prefer to go direct. I feel like if the iPad did fail, I still would have a sectional to look at, VOR,etc. I don't see the need in plotting courses. And I know how much gas I'm consuming. I can plot direct, I don't want to plot waypoints.
Okay, I don't normally say something like this on APC, but there are 2 places I hope you don't wind up: on my seniority list, or in management.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:47 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: Window Seat

Originally Posted by FlyingNasaForm View Post
So true. I want to fly somewhere at 500' using a sectional, my eyes, and a clock.
North! To Alaska!

Get out of aviation.