Notices
Regional Regional Airlines

Mason32 Says: No ATP Writtens Since August 1

Old 10-14-2014, 02:03 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2013
Position: Shiny One
Default Mason32 Says: No ATP Writtens Since August 1

Well he quoted an article on another message board using a different screen name, but it's worth noting.

Guest Blog: ATP Tests Grind to a Halt - AVweb Insider Article

Based on my data sources, since August 1, 2014, we have not administered a single ATP knowledge test that would allow a pilot to then go on to take the ATP multi-engine practical test and become ATP qualified for service in an airline. Yup. None. For two whole months and I expect this trend to continue for a third month.

This is a significant change from historic numbers when we typically saw an average of over 500 knowledge tests given per month (between 2002 and 2013). Why is this important? Because it is not possible to become an ATP pilot without first taking the knowledge test. If we aren't making new ATP pilots, well, then we simply aren't making any more pilots capable of being employed to fly airliners.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:14 PM
Living the Dream

Joined APC: Sep 2013

Anyone who might've gotten an airline job in the next two years should've gotten it done. Anyone who didn't; too bad so sad. But anyone more than two years away, I feel bad for them.

Realistically, the regionals will have to institute some sort of program, though that additional expense may push the regional house of cards even further towards collapse.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:14 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2013
Position: die Pilotin

That all makes sense considering that there haven't been any school until recently that were able to administer the ground school and sim requirement. ERAU was the first but that required being enrolled in the actual school not just a one off class, IIRC ATP or some other schools first class started this month. I would also assume that considering the average was 500/month it wouldn't surprise me if the months leading up to August was about 2000/month.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:35 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2011
Position: Piper passenger

Originally Posted by aTomatoFlames View Post
That all makes sense considering that there haven't been any school until recently that were able to administer the ground school and sim requirement. ERAU was the first but that required being enrolled in the actual school not just a one off class, IIRC ATP or some other schools first class started this month. I would also assume that considering the average was 500/month it wouldn't surprise me if the months leading up to August was about 2000/month.

The only company certified as of today is Sportys. ERAU has one but only as part of the curriculum. Sportys uses a DC9 sim. ATP is still doing the certification process to my knowledge, but will likely have that approval soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2014, 04:09 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2011
Position: Left seat

Why bother any more, just aint worth it.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:17 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: ERJ CA

Anybody seen independent verification of the author's claims?
Old 10-14-2014, 04:54 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: It's hot out here.

$4500 to take the course which allows you to take the test. Outrageous! It cost me about $225 and that includes the Sheppard Air test prep software.

Sporty?s Offers FAA-Approved ATP Certification Training Program - Media Center - Sporty's Pilot Shop | Media Center ? Sporty's Pilot Shop
Old 10-14-2014, 05:02 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2012
Position: 206

Could someone provide insight on the primary differences between a Level-C and D sim? thanks
Old 10-14-2014, 05:43 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2014

Probably a lot of guys will go to the no-training-contract commuters to get their ATP and bail. That sucks for them!! Haha. This is great, I highly doubt Congress will reduce requirements, otherwise if something happens it's completely on their heads. Nope.

This is great, anything that reduces the ability for pilots to get minted is a good thing, long term, for our profession.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2013

Originally Posted by gold View Post
Could someone provide insight on the primary differences between a Level-C and D sim? thanks
Level C has 75 degree field of view
Level D has 150 degree field of view, also realistic sound effects and some added visual effects.