Notices
Career Questions Career advice, interview prep and gouges, job fairs, etc.

Job Fairs

Old 02-21-2015, 01:56 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2012
Default Job Fairs

Hey Everyone,

I was a little bit late to get on the ball with the WAI job fair coming up in March and could not get the days off to go. However, I'm looking for some information about future job fairs so I can better plan to attend. I am fairly new to the job fair thing so go easy on me!

I am trying to do some research on future job fair dates (OBAP, for example) and not having any luck. All I have found is AeroCrew solutions job fair in Chicago in May (where I live conveniently). They list the following airlines:

Allegiant Air
Emirates
Frontier Airlines - 200 tickets only
Kalitta Air
Spirit Airlines - 200 tickets only

a) who hosts this job fair?
b) Will other airlines go?

Also, when is the OBAP job fair? Any other good ones I should hit up?
Old 02-22-2015, 07:08 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2012

Here is a list of upcoming job fairs. If you have a questions about one of our events please send us a PM or email.

FAPA - LAS - April 22 - FAPA.aero | Pilot Job Fairs

OBAP LAS Spring Event - April - 23 - 2015 Annual Career Fair « OBAP

Aero Crew Solutions - ORD - May 8 - Chicago Pilot Job Fair May 8 2015 ? Aero Crew Solutions

Aero Crew Solutions - DFW - July 17 - Dallas / Fort Worth Pilot Job Fair July 17 2015 ? Aero Crew Solutions

OBAP Convention - DCA - Aug 12-14 - Convention « OBAP
Old 02-22-2015, 08:55 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Hoping for any position

Google usually will find the most recent up coming job fairs but finding out who is attending is the difficult part.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:07 AM
Gets Weekends Off

If you got the choice between the OBAP Spring event and the convention in the summer, which would be a better bet?
Old 02-27-2015, 03:17 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2014
Position: Interview Consulting

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck View Post
If you got the choice between the OBAP Spring event and the convention in the summer, which would be a better bet?
BOTH!

Centerline Consulting
Old 02-27-2015, 05:43 PM
Airborne bus driver

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: my seat smells funny

Man, I remember back when the WAI conference was filled with mostly.........wait for it...........women.

Nah, come on down boys, but we've got to raz' ya' a little bit. Just a smidge. When else do we get a softball like this?!

Last edited by RadialGal; 02-27-2015 at 05:44 PM. Reason: thought of somthing funny
Old 02-27-2015, 06:59 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2012

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck View Post
The summer convention will have more major airlines attending.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:09 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by RadialGal View Post
Man, I remember back when the WAI conference was filled with mostly.........wait for it...........women.

Nah, come on down boys, but we've got to raz' ya' a little bit. Just a smidge. When else do we get a softball like this?!

Just to raz you right back...

There is a reason that a job fair is filled with mostly...MEN

Most women don't need to go to a job fair to get hired 😜
Old 03-01-2015, 08:45 PM
Airborne bus driver

Ha! Point taken, but I think there are enough of gals not to where we don't get hired with lower mins. May our resumes float to the top of "qualified applicants" pile due to our sex; probably. Can't help that one, I was born with the plumbing I have, it's up to the hiring departments how much attention they pay to the F or M box. The gal pals I know that have hired at majors recently were right in the middle of the competitive times of their class. No female insane low-timers like crazy 1980's for United anymore. Airlines aren't my cuppa anyway. So you won't be competing with me.

Just FYI when I went, WAI wasn't a hiring fair; not by any means. Did some hands get pumped? contacts made....sure. But NEVER anything like 3 hour lines and limited numbers of "interview tickets" or whatever handed out now a days.

When I went, people went to interesting seminars, met up for lunch/dinner and went out on the town drinking wine and girly drinks, swapping "this one time" stories about being a female pilot. I mean, being a girl in this profession makes you about as rare as a (fill in your favorite offensive phrase), and this was the ONE time you got to see other women pilots in any kind of numbers. You could be having Margaritas in Reno with an Astronaut, a Bush pilot, a SkyWest FO, a Kalitta Captain, a Training Captain at Delta, a Inst student and a couple of CFI's, It was EPIC. A little taste of the camaraderie you guys share mano a mano.

But no kind of "active hiring" or "active networking" went on. You didn't get brownie points for showing up to the conference. Not at all. Some airlines had some booths there, mostly manned by women, but no interviews or "official meet and greet" stuff. I don't remember seeing a single line at the couple of earlier WAI cons I attended. Well lines at the bar. maybe........

RadialGal
Old 03-01-2015, 11:48 PM
Airborne bus driver

Default !

P.S.

Pardon the crappy Eng-rish. Typing is hard stuff!!!

Point still stands, I hardly recognize the old WAI Cons now....and I miss 'em!