Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Career Builder > Flight Schools and Training
ERAU-Prescott or ERAU-Daytona Beach >

ERAU-Prescott or ERAU-Daytona Beach

Notices
Flight Schools and Training Ratings, building hours, airmanship, CFI topics

ERAU-Prescott or ERAU-Daytona Beach

Old 05-03-2015, 10:25 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Dec 2014
Default ERAU-Prescott or ERAU-Daytona Beach

Which campus looks better on the resume?
Old 05-03-2015, 11:37 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2014
Position: Deployed Reservist
Default ERAU-Prescott or ERAU-Daytona Beach

Neither looks good. They are too expensive. You're just as likely to get interviewed by someone from a plethora of universities that have aviation programs or ROTC, or a military academy graduate. They'll immediately see you as someone who was taken to the cleaners because you spent double what you had to for a degree, certificates, and ratings. However, when I competed in NIFA, I did notice that Prescott did better than Daytona which is in a party town. Of course, the Air Force Academy was number one. If you/ your parents have extra money, save it for living expenses during those years as a flight instructor or for the new mandatory ATP simulator training!
Old 05-03-2015, 11:42 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2015
Position: C172 Left Seat

I visited ERAU Daytona last June, and ASU Mesa Gateway on April 3. I found the weather in Arizona to be 10x more pleasant than the weather in Florida which had me sweating like a pig the moment I stepped off the plane. With Arizona heat you don't even feel it.

Plus Florida gets a lot more thunderstorm activity which would certainly screw with your lessons occasionally, especially during hurricane season.

Also curious did you consider ASU? I hated Riddle because the campus was so damn small with no girls at all. ASU Poly has plenty of girls and is plenty big (still not Tempe though, in both these ways) but still its better than Riddle where a girl is as common as a solar eclipse. I also liked how ASU gives you the more traditional college life with it being a D-1 school if your into sports or whatever.

Good Luck!
Speed
Old 05-03-2015, 11:45 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2015
Position: C172 Left Seat

Originally Posted by Learjet FO View Post
Neither looks good. They are too expensive. You're just as likely to get interviewed by someone from a plethora of universities that have aviation programs or ROTC, or a military academy graduate. They'll immediately see you as someone who was taken to the cleaners because you spent double what you had to for a degree, certificates, and ratings. However, when I competed in NIFA, I did notice that Prescott did better than Daytona which is in a party town. Of course, the Air Force Academy was number one. If you/ your parents have extra money, save it for living expenses during those years as a flight instructor or for the new mandatory ATP simulator training!
Learjet-
Don't most regional airlines pay for the ATP-CTP for new hires now?
Old 05-03-2015, 12:43 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Dec 2014

My friend's dad is a Captain at Delta and also helps recruiting pilots. He says it does matter what degree you get and where you go to school because it gets your foot in the door. He's 62 and will be retired by the time I could apply to Delta, so I couldn't use him to get into Delta.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:46 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: Volleyball Player

Originally Posted by rokking566 View Post
Which campus looks better on the resume?
Both of them can provide excellent training and actually hold you to standards, which benefits a lot of people when they go to their first 121 job.

However, the degree that is associated with the training is almost worthless, there is no such thing as an "aeronautical scientist". While you can use the degree in a few places besides piloting if you are smart and look around, it's very limiting and there are almost an endless list of degrees that would better suit someone. One thing to think about is that with the schedules you'll eventually hold, what are you going to do with your time? Many legacy airline pilots hold another job of some kind, either running/owning a business or something else that they can afford to do. What do you want to do with a bunch of space time that you could possibly fall back on if your airline shut down tomorrow?

Airlines, especially the top tier ones, look for a variety of personality traits and life experience, not that you went to the most expensive school. This means how much have you branched out, done different things, helped the community, helped your employers, completed projects, etc?

In the end, the resume with the most turbine PIC will likely be the one that gets looked at. Barring that, the one with the most turbine, and barring that, the one with the most multi...and so on...
Old 05-03-2015, 12:47 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: Volleyball Player

Originally Posted by rokking566 View Post
My friend's dad is a Captain at Delta and also helps recruiting pilots. He says it does matter what degree you get and where you go to school because it gets your foot in the door. He's 62 and will be retired by the time I could apply to Delta, so I couldn't use him to get into Delta.
Sounds like you got it all figured out.

1. Underpants
2. ????
3. Profit!
Old 05-03-2015, 12:54 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: ERJ, CA

Your friend's dad is most likely out of touch with what is going on. If you go to Riddle, you'll spend 200K on a worthless Aeroscience degree.

Going to Riddle reduces the time you need to get an ATP and will get you the possibility of internships at airlines, maybe even a major, but so will other state schools. You really must get a practical degree outside of aviation in order to have a fall back when airlines furlough and go bankrupt. The 80+ history of airlines is furloughs and bankruptcies.

There are other university programs out there that offer much better value in aviation. University of North Dakota is a much praised program, for instance.

https://www.faa.gov/pilots/training/atp/
Old 05-03-2015, 02:41 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2014
Position: Deployed Reservist

Saint Louis University, Perdue University, Florida Institute of technology, Western Michigan State University, University of Illinois. Heck, even Tuskegee is back in the game thanks to a partnership with Kansas State.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:12 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2015
Position: 737 FO

I went through the ASU program years ago. Girls are way better (enjoy that Riddle Vision where that girl that's a 5/10 becomes a 10/10 because she's the only girl you see), you interact with people who aren't pilots (don't be that dork who just talks airplanes 100% of the time, learn to socialize), and you're just paying for the ERAU name if you go there.

My in-state tuition at ASU was like 1/3 of that at ERAU