Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Career Builder > Flight Schools and Training
ATP, Air National Guard, or Reserves? >

ATP, Air National Guard, or Reserves?

Notices
Flight Schools and Training Ratings, building hours, airmanship, CFI topics

Old 05-26-2015, 04:04 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2011

Originally Posted by threeighteen View Post
Get the 4 year, go ANG or AF Reserve.
yep!!! thats the first choice. You will be very glad you did.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:29 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2015

Objectively, I gathered you want to join the military to subsidize your flying career. The ATP tuition loan is a big nut to crack. You're young enough to have a long career which will make it a distant memory. There are no guarantees in the military. Mission needs are always first. Right now time is your friend. The wrong path for the wrong reason can change that.

Jimf15e really gave the best picture.

Last edited by OldWeasel; 05-26-2015 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 05-27-2015, 06:55 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2014

Originally Posted by jimf15e View Post

But most important, please, please, please join the Armed Services for the right reasons - service to your country, state, and people. NOT as a flight school or college financing program. Even the services themselves no longer use this as a primary part of their recruiting campaign. Please PM me if you want if you have any other questions on active duty or reserve service.
Thank you thank you thank you for posting this. As a 16 year veteran who just took early retirement (TERA) and spent 3.5 years of those 16 years living in either Iraq or Afghanistan, it annoys the heck out of me when joining the military to get your ratings is thrown out there as just another "option" on these boards. Joining the military is a huge life changing decision that shouldn't be taken lightly.

Like you, I don't want someone in my military that is there just to get their ratings and punch out.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:38 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005

The military needs people who want to fly airplanes and "punch out" and people want to go all the way and make a career out of it. Not everyone is going to be a lifer. Not everyone is going to want to live with 20 years of **** sandwiches and having to check all the boxes to pin on O-6+. People have choices.

I don't fault anyone for wanting to serve their minimum commitment and decide to move on to "bigger and better" things after the military paid for a bunch of their training as long as they give it 110% while they're beside me.

As others have said, being in the military involves a lot more than just flying. I know aircrew who got tasked to man homeless shelters for 1-2 weeks on end during "Super-Storm Sandy" a few years ago cleaning up ****, ****, puke... you name it. "For State and Country". There will definitely be some things you end up doing in the military that you never thought you'd be doing when you swore in, but that's the job.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:02 PM
Line Holder

One of these things is nothing like the other. That alone should make it an obvious choice. If you qualify and can get a guard/reserve pilot slot(not easy to do btw), why in the world would go to ATP and "Pay" , when you can GET paid for going to USAF flight school and come back HOME 12 months later with an FAA commercial ticket automatically. Then get paid to go train on an advance aircraft.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:19 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2010
Position: 747 Captain, retired

Originally Posted by threeighteen View Post
Get the 4 year, go ANG or AF Reserve.
100% agree. I think ANG slots or AF Reserves might be hard to come by because most career airline oriented people want to go that route as well.
Old 06-11-2015, 01:17 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2015
Question

Would getting all my certifications and add ons (private, instrument, mulit, and commercial) through the civilian world first increase my chances of getting a pilot slot through the military? Also would I be able to skip through any flight training through the military considering I would have some licenses already?
Old 06-11-2015, 04:01 PM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by TKOwnedU5 View Post
Would getting all my certifications and add ons (private, instrument, mulit, and commercial) through the civilian world first increase my chances of getting a pilot slot through the military? Also would I be able to skip through any flight training through the military considering I would have some licenses already?
...........Yes.
........No.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:44 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2014

You will skip IFS if you have your PPL.