Southwest new pay rates >

Southwest new pay rates

Notices

Southwest new pay rates

Old 09-13-2015, 12:06 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2014
Default Southwest new pay rates

Anyone know what the new pay rates in the southwest ta are? I know they use a trip pay system but there is an equation to compare with hourly payrates.

I think our narrow body rates should be higher than theirs. Our narrow body guys have the hardest schedule of all majors.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:59 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: MD-11 Captain

11man,

I'm no Southwest expert but I've had the opportunity to jumpseat with them several times (thanks guys!).

It seems to me that this SWA "Trip Pay" system evolved out of their early days when they only flew from DAL to HOU (I think?). A flight ("trip" either way) was 50 mins and so they get paid in 50 minute "trip" intervals. Example: a 3hr flight from XXX to YYY equals 180 minutes and pays 3.6 "trips"?

IIRC, the last time I flew with them (years ago) the f/o told he was making $50/trip. $50 for 50 minutes sounds a lot like $60/hr. to me but that's not how they do things. It looks like they work hard to me. I always thought I'd like working there.

All that said, the SWA page here on APC shows their pay per hour? Did APC convert it to a standard format or has the airline changed their pay to an hourly scale?

http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/a...hwest_airlines

I'm sure a SWA person will pipe in with the details. Maybe you'd have better luck if this wasn't posted in the (FedEx TA) CARGO section?

MM

Last edited by MaydayMark; 09-13-2015 at 07:17 AM.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:17 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2013
Default Southwest new pay rates

They aren't changing our trips for pay system. Apc converts it.
Our SWAPA BOD is voting on the TA this week and the line swine haven't seen it.
Rumor is a 7 percent increase off the bat and then 3/3/3 or somewhere thereabouts.
That would make our 12 year CA pay around 190/trip or the block hour equivalent of around 240/hr or somewhere thereabouts.
This is based on rumor and public math, so I wouldn't take that as gospel by any means.

I haven't walked a mile in your shoes, but I know you guys bust your hump flying in the night/weather/unfriendly places.
I do know that as a first year FO I blocked 900 hours in my first 12 months here and many of our captains do the same. That is just for basis of comparison and isn't a dig on anyone.
I sincerely wish you guys the best of luck with your TA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2015, 07:33 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: FDX MD11 Capt in MEM

Currently SWA maxes out at about $216/hr (12yr)

Currently FDX NB pays $217.59/hr (12yr), $224.65/hr(15yr)

My intel says SWA AIP (not quite a T/A) gives them a 10% signing bonus (10% of previous year's pay).

Pay raises: 4/3/2. Pay bump in spring of 2016 would bring them to $230/hr

FDX T/A gives NB Capt. $239.35 (12Yr) on 02NOV15

Increase 401(k) match to 10%. Matching cap doubled to $50,000.

Overall, pretty anemic. If accurate.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:41 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007

Originally Posted by 11man View Post
I think our narrow body rates should be higher than theirs. Our narrow body guys have the hardest schedule of all majors.
I'm a narrow body F/O guy with several SWA buds in both seats. I wouldn't trade my FDX life and pay with that of a SWA captain nevermind an F/O. To each his own really, but I wouldn't want any part of their schedules.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:40 PM
Part Time Employee

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Dispersing Green House Gasses on a Global Basis

Originally Posted by Rock View Post
I'm a narrow body F/O guy with several SWA buds in both seats. I wouldn't trade my FDX life and pay with that of a SWA captain nevermind an F/O. To each his own really, but I wouldn't want any part of their schedules.
Stick around here long enough and our schedules will look more and more like theirs!
Old 09-13-2015, 12:48 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: leaning to the left

Originally Posted by MaxKts View Post
Stick around here long enough and our schedules will look more and more like theirs!
Yah, but there's not as much traffic to deal with in the middle of the night. So, we got that going for us.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:52 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: MD-11 Captain

Originally Posted by Busboy View Post
Yah, but there's not as much traffic to deal with in the middle of the night. So, we got that going for us.
And we don't get as tired because we don't have Flight Attendants. Wasn't that part of the justification for the "Cargo Cutout"?

Old 09-13-2015, 01:07 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007

Originally Posted by MaydayMark View Post
And we don't get as tired because we don't have Flight Attendants. Wasn't that part of the justification for the "Cargo Cutout"?

That's legit. Just the occasional crew van ride I have to take with a crew of stews dumps half my energy for the day.
Old 09-13-2015, 01:09 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: leaning to the left

Originally Posted by Rock View Post
That's legit. Just the occasional crew van ride I have to take with a crew of stews dumps half my energy for the day.
You must really be a stud. But, perhaps you should workout a little more and gain some stamina.