WheelsUp/GAMA Updated QOL/Benefits

Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

WheelsUp/GAMA Updated QOL/Benefits

Old 10-10-2015, 08:02 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2015
Default WheelsUp/GAMA Updated QOL/Benefits

Going to start a new thread here regarding WheelsUp/GAMA. I know that there is a lot of information on here about the company, but it is largely buried within the posts. Because the site does not have a profile on the operation yet, perhaps the hive can consolidate what to expect about flying there.

Any thoughts?

Medical, Dental, Vision?
401(k)/retirement?
Per diem?
Hotels?
Duty times?
Travel to/from the aircraft?
Base parking?
Morale?
Expenses?
Crew meals?
Training? Days on or off?
Vacation?
Tipping?
Old 10-10-2015, 08:40 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2015
Position: Begging for a crew meal

Originally Posted by Shockley View Post
Going to start a new thread here regarding WheelsUp/GAMA. I know that there is a lot of information on here about the company, but it is largely buried within the posts. Because the site does not have a profile on the operation yet, perhaps the hive can consolidate what to expect about flying there.

Any thoughts?

Medical, Dental, Vision?
401(k)/retirement?
Per diem?
Hotels?
Duty times?
Base parking?
Morale?
Expenses?
Crew meals?
Vacation?
Tipping?
Company paid medical and dental benefits - Really nice deal.

401K after 60 days. I can't remember what the match is.

$59 per day per diem. $65 if you land in the Bahamas or Canada at any
point.

Usually some sort of Hilton brand . Marriott and IHG are sprinkled in occasionally. Usually no problems with crap hotels.

Duty Times - Whenever they want you. 14 hour limit per day of course.

You get to the plane one way or another on day 1. Rental car or airline to it. Almost always going to fly at a very minimum a position leg that day. They let you know and arrange the travel the night before. On your last day it's a toss up. You could work all day then get home late. Or sit around on standby and catch an afternoon flight home.

Base parking. Not paid. Most people usually park at a Signature or something. They usually don't care and take you to the terminal and back.

Morale - Not the best. Schedule change coming up should help. Some other stuff that needs to be dealt with. New bases and schedule change helped me a lot this year with my morale...

Expenses - You have a company credit card. Reconcile it online at the end of the week.

Crew Meals - They are never offered. Ever. You have to look at your day and determine if you need one. If ops agrees (they've never denied me) - you get one somewhere and it will cost you $10. (Petty IMO considering how hard you work some days...)

Training - always "ON" days. You may have to adjust your schedule a day or two for them to fit it in.

Vacation - going to be one eight day period per year. This aligns with the 8 on 6 off.

Tipping - $5 per day max reimbursed unless special circumstances. Not counting transportation tips (such as an $80 cab ride or something) Overall - obviously not enough...
Old 10-10-2015, 10:33 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2012
Position: BE300, CA

FWIW, if the FBO parking thing isn't an option in your domicile (at present I haven't heard anything about it in mine, but I also don't start at WU till 11/16), it's worth seeing if your base airport has a commuter pilot parking rate. Mine (MSP) offers a $54/mo parking pass for crews.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:36 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013
Position: Left Seat

A few more questions to add:

Typical KA upgrade time for new FOs?
Requirements to bid the jets from the KA?
Average sectors per day East Coast vs West Coast bases?
Update on the new Proline Fusion King Airs? When arriving and confirmed Gama?

Last edited by Fetzervalve; 10-11-2015 at 04:50 AM.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:04 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013

Any thoughts?

Medical, Dental, Vision?
401(k)/retirement?
Per diem?
Hotels?
Duty times?
Base parking?
Morale?
Expenses?
Crew meals?
Vacation?
Tipping?
Just to add to Starbucks post, 401k is a 50% match up to 6% of employees contribution.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:34 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2012
Position: 747 FO

Originally Posted by Fetzervalve View Post
A few more questions to add:

Typical KA upgrade time for new FOs?
Requirements to bid the jets from the KA?
Average sectors per day East Coast vs West Coast bases?
Update on the new Proline Fusion King Airs? When arriving and confirmed Gama?
Upgrade depends on KA experience from what I've seen. Quickest I've heard of is two months on line as an FO.

I have heard ( but do not KNOW) that the requirement to go to the jet is at least 3500 TT. The trends seems to be becoming a standards CA in the KA first.

2 to 3 sectors a day West Coast. I don't know East coast from experience but have heard that they are FAR busier.

RUMINT on the new KAs is that they will start arriving (Fusion equipped) at the beginning of next year. GAMA, no one else. Scuttlebutt is that not all of them will go to the U.S.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:00 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2015

Thanks for the great replies A few more:

Any sick policy?
Can you keep Hotel/Airline points?
What is the $115 million going to finance? Is it mostly for Europe or North America?
Old 10-11-2015, 05:30 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013

Thanks for the great replies A few more:

Any sick policy?
Can you keep Hotel/Airline points?
What is the $115 million going to finance? Is it mostly for Europe or North America?
5 paid sick days per year. Long term disability also provided at the company's expense.

You can keep all airline and hotel points.

From the wheels up website,
"According to Wheels Up Founder and CEO Kenny Dichter, this latest round of financing will fuel the company’s United States expansion, set up a base of operations in Europe, and enhance the Company’s technology platform, which includes a unique member-to-member ride-sharing feature."
Old 10-12-2015, 06:20 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2014

When is the 7/7 schedule starting? That would solve any staffing issues instantly.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:02 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2011
Position: Licking the window

Originally Posted by Columbusohio View Post
When is the 7/7 schedule starting? That would solve any staffing issues instantly.
Per a conversation I had with the fleet manager never. He said the company is not profitable if they have to change the manning to make that work.