Notices

Southern Air

Old 02-07-2007, 06:09 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: B-756 F/O
Default Southern Air

What's going on at Southern Air? A friend of mine was told that he would be in the pool for the January class and that was moved to Feb, now he hasn't heard anything about the Feb. class. Anyone have any idea if and when the next class is going to be held? What's the big hold up?

Seabass
Old 02-26-2007, 06:18 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: -400 F/O
Default Here's what's up

The class is now in April. I hear it's all F/O's but they tend to add an Engineer or two before the classes begin. It's not the greatest job in the world, but it's not the worst either. The scheduling department has to be the worst in the industry. If you can tolerate being out for 20+ days, you'll be just fine. But when they extend you for no logical reason and end up spending 30+ days on the road, it's pretty tuff. The vast majority of the crew members are great to fly with and quite talented. There is the 10% factor just like any other scumbag outfit, but that is to be expected. The contract has no teeth and is exploited by mgt. at every given opportunity. The reps do their best, but there are so many guys here that know this is their last stop, that they are just handicapped . When you go out, you will be doing either Domestic or International. That is rarely interchanged. If your International, your going ANC to either Seoul, SHanghai or Hong Kong. You'll layover an average of 3 days overseas, then min rest in ANC. If Domestic, your doing round-trips to LAX or ORD. Otherwise, Domestic is DFW, ATL, JFK or MIA. That is our ACMI flying. There is more and more contract flying. Bogata, Kito and Amsterdam are some examples.
This place generally blows, but it is an opportunity to get some heavy international flying in to make your resume to the company you want to work for look a little better. Upgrade will be quick if you can fly! If not, full time F/O is a position here.

Hope it helps.

Later
Old 03-05-2007, 04:58 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: B747 CA

We are scheduled to pick up airplane #10 this month.

However I would not engourage anyone to sign on until the pay issues that we are currently having with the Company have been resolved. There has been more than one crewmember short changed in his pay check.

And the statement go43 mentioned about our crew scheduling was to kind.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:52 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: 320 right side

Originally Posted by go43andrti View Post
The class is now in April. I hear it's all F/O's but they tend to add an Engineer or two before the classes begin. It's not the greatest job in the world, but it's not the worst either. The scheduling department has to be the worst in the industry. If you can tolerate being out for 20+ days, you'll be just fine. But when they extend you for no logical reason and end up spending 30+ days on the road, it's pretty tuff. The vast majority of the crew members are great to fly with and quite talented. There is the 10% factor just like any other scumbag outfit, but that is to be expected. The contract has no teeth and is exploited by mgt. at every given opportunity. The reps do their best, but there are so many guys here that know this is their last stop, that they are just handicapped . When you go out, you will be doing either Domestic or International. That is rarely interchanged. If your International, your going ANC to either Seoul, SHanghai or Hong Kong. You'll layover an average of 3 days overseas, then min rest in ANC. If Domestic, your doing round-trips to LAX or ORD. Otherwise, Domestic is DFW, ATL, JFK or MIA. That is our ACMI flying. There is more and more contract flying. Bogata, Kito and Amsterdam are some examples.
This place generally blows, but it is an opportunity to get some heavy international flying in to make your resume to the company you want to work for look a little better. Upgrade will be quick if you can fly! If not, full time F/O is a position here.

Hope it helps.

Later

Hey go43and rti, are you Jeremy H? I have an old flying buddy that is supposed to be flying there, but cant get a hold of him...
Old 03-06-2007, 08:30 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: -400 F/O
Default Si

That's me. WHO GOES THERE? Got my number? Gimme some initials at least.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:41 AM
Gets Weekends Off

John T. Smith field... PM me.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:42 AM
Gets Weekends Off

I just noticed that you dont have enough posts to PM. Email.
[email protected]
Old 03-07-2007, 05:56 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: C-5 Instructor FE

18Wheeler with you guys adding the tenth airplane any idea if there could be some PFE opportunities.

I have 5,000 C-5 hours and all the “boxes” filled I believe. FE turbojet, A & P, FCC Radiotelephone, Class 1 Medical, and US Passport.

Thanks in advance for any information
Old 03-07-2007, 06:14 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Apelo@290

Some of the guys I've talked to from SA said they may put a couple of PFE's in class soon. I'm trying to get on there as an FO. Good luck.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:22 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: B747 CA

C5AB I do not know if they will be hiring any PFE's this time around, they usually do.

Item to seriously consider before accepting a position with Southern Air.

1. Scheduling department is the worst of the worst:
A. Deadheading into trips is common.
B. Because you are first year pay and they do not pay deadhead pay for the first year, you will deadhead a lot.
C. They will schedule you for a trip even if it will set you up for a violation.
D. They will lose you, then call your home when you are on the road. Your wife will love that.
E. They will leave you sitting in a hotel when other crews are coming and going. New record in Seoul is over 12 days.
F. Line that you bid on and were awarded is null and void after the first day of the month.
G. They will change your Guarenteed days off without your consent so they do not have to pay you day off pay.
H. Schedule new FO's for IOE with Captains that are not Check airmen.
I. Schedule qualified FO's with Check airmen on an IOE lines and have FO needing IOE deadhead on the same airplane.
2. Maintenance:
A. Anything that can be deferred wil be.
B. Deferral will not be acted upon until the last day.
C. Many talented mechanics but Norwalk doesn't give them the time or resources to fix things properly.
3. Three different Navigation systems to know and love. Navigation error/ violation waiting to happen?
A. 6 planes with CMC/FMS. Note: even these have variations in their software and capabilities.
B. 2 planes with Litton 92's- No GPS updating.
C. 1 plane with Carosel INS's with PMS. No GPS updating.
D. Airplane #10 unknown nav. system.
E. They have an STC to install FMS's but are not doing it. One just came out of heavy check and still has Litton 92 in it.
4. Pay:
A. No matter who you work for you need to check your pay stub for accuracy. Here that goes double.

These are the facts: You decide.

Last edited by 18Wheeler; 03-07-2007 at 11:11 PM.