Regionals Hiring Outlook for a low time Pilot >

Regionals Hiring Outlook for a low time Pilot

Notices
Regional Regional Airlines

Regionals Hiring Outlook for a low time Pilot

Old 05-25-2016, 06:44 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2013

I flew at cape air. Great place to work. You will enjoy the flying and people you meet. The regionals are not going anywhere believe me. They need you more than you need them. At 1500 hours you can literally pick the airline you want to work for. Mesa will even hire you over the phone.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:23 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2013

I was at Cape Air for one year. I went in as a Captain and for my situation, at the time, it was a good move. I did have a lot of fun there and it is great experience. I have since moved onto a jet regional and cant complain. Since I left, three years ago, 9K has gone way downhill.

They are severely short stafffed on Captains and they have over extended themselves - BIG TIME. If they hadnt taken on this idiotic Montana EAS crap they MIGHT have been okay. They would certainly be in a much better position today.

With the ATP rule and needing 1500 to go anywhere, Cape Airs survival is predicated on FOs and those FOs upgrading. There is no reason at all to go to Cape when you can go to any jet regional right now. This is exactly what is happpening there now. They are barely getting any CAs so they hire tons of FOs because thats all they really can do.

As for the 30k training bond, that makes me sick. That is absolutely ASININE. This is a Cessna 402 - not a 74. I mean ***. Any FO going to Cape and signing that needs their head examined.

While I did have fun, for my one year, and it was great experience, I cannot recommend Cape Air to anyone at the moment.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:30 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: ERJ CA

Plenty of timebuilding opportunities that don't require a CFI or a huge contract out there. Go find one.

Cape Air would have to offer a huge bonus to get me to nibble on that deal.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:40 AM
Need More Flight Time!

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Flight Simulator X

I would absolutely not sign anything that is nebulous in your career path.

They can say anything they want...get it in writing. If they don't put it in writing, you got your answer (read: they have no intentions or ability to promise you anything).

But, if you don't care about the time line, then go for it.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:20 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2013

Originally Posted by airflight999 View Post
Lanya~ One of Bob's boys. I know that feeling. The island was a blast, but nothing worse than hearing that iConnect beep in the middle of a nap and hearing Donna "Cap the push is starting" haha. Hell on paradise. How's Jamey doing?
Ha, when were you at Star? I got back in February 2016. Was there for five months. No, the worst thing is having a passenger puke on you in a plane with radios that are borderline non-functional and Bob doing laps in the pattern.....fun times....

Both Jamey's are good as far as I know. I think they just hired a bunch of knew discovery guys.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:24 AM
Gets Weekends Off

All good input guys--thanks. Yeah I'm seriously looking for another option but I will go to Cape if I find nothing else by September.

Still waiting to hear back from Planesense...also just gave Sun Air Express a call. Apparently they are hiring for the van. They actually offered me a class date back in the day when I applied for the Navajo, but they wanted me to pay them 10 grand to train. I'm hoping thats no longer the case.

Anybody have any ideas on where else to apply? I'm in the Northeast.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:37 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2016

Originally Posted by rswitz View Post
All good input guys--thanks. Yeah I'm seriously looking for another option but I will go to Cape if I find nothing else by September.

Still waiting to hear back from Planesense...also just gave Sun Air Express a call. Apparently they are hiring for the van. They actually offered me a class date back in the day when I applied for the Navajo, but they wanted me to pay them 10 grand to train. I'm hoping thats no longer the case.

Anybody have any ideas on where else to apply? I'm in the Northeast.
Mokulele has an operation up and running in Pennsylvania. Air choice one, tradewind ? Air cargo carriers.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:46 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Ive applied to Mokulele before I went to SMA. They cancelled the class date on me. I might give them another shot....

Air choice one has a two year contract - no thanks.

Tradewind wants 1000 hours for an SIC job. I applied even with an internal reference and they held firm on the 1000 hours
Old 05-26-2016, 10:31 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2015
Position: Professional Eugoogoolizer at the Derek Zoolander Center For Kids Who Can’t Read Good

Originally Posted by rswitz View Post
Ive applied to Mokulele before I went to SMA. They cancelled the class date on me. I might give them another shot....

Air choice one has a two year contract - no thanks.

Tradewind wants 1000 hours for an SIC job. I applied even with an internal reference and they held firm on the 1000 hours
Stay away from anything that wants a contract.. your a pilot.. don't give into anything.. there are plenty of ways to get your experience.. if you study hard and are a decent stick.. you can get your cfi in one week. Technically only requires 3 hours of flight training. I have signed over a dozen off recently that came to me fully prepared and with writtens done using sheppard. I flew with them that day.. called the fsdo, got them an examiner and they were a cfi.. ez.. if you can't get yourself ready for a cfi check ride.. how do you expect to drink from the firehose during 121 training.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:45 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2008
Position: C-172

Nothing against CA but I wouldn't sign a contract. Some regionals don't even require contracts anymore. PIC time doesn't matter anymore.

Plenty of other routes, and some flight schools will pay for your CFI initial if you sign an agreement with them (you'll give xyz amount of dual given, works out great if you have to build that time anyways).