Notices
Military Military Aviation

Thunderbird Crash-AFA Graduation

Old 06-16-2016, 06:48 PM
Get me outta here...

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: Boeing right seat

Originally Posted by galaxy flyer View Post
The fact they are flying means it must be pretty clear cut to the board--no... ...blameworthy supervisory error (Tbird lead hasn't been relieved).
That lends some credence to the fuel exhaustion story...
GF,
I am not following your logic.
If there was credence to a hypothetical fuel exhaustion scenario, I would say there would be significant supervisory factors placed on TB#1. Enough so that he would be relieved of command.
And of course, TB#6 would be relieved.

With both of them flying, I cannot see how a case of running out of fuel would be the likely scenario.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:12 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2010
Position: Baja Vermont

Well, it certainly could have an engine failure, but wouldn't that suggest a more lengthily investigation? Or any other mechanical failure? Granted, engine failure modes must be pretty predictable on the Viper, by now. Agreed, fuel exhaustion connotes significant supervisory failures, UNLESS, the AF was willing to write it off as an honest mistake while trying to hack a significant public event.

You are correct, T'birds have been relieved in past cases of supervisory error pretty quickly.

GF
Old 06-16-2016, 11:22 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2009

Would anyone of you crash/punch out of a perfectly good airplane because of a field closure or VIP movement?

Do you think the thuds would?
Old 06-17-2016, 08:03 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Grumble View Post
Would anyone of you crash/punch out of a perfectly good airplane because of a field closure or VIP movement?

Do you think the thuds would?
Generally, no. One possible exception comes to mind...

Operating a tactical jet in unauthorized proximity to POTUS might actually be more dangerous to your health (and career) than ejection.

I could maybe see a situation where they were told "five mikes", and decided not to bug out since there was a perfectly good airport right there and they didn't want to jack up the whole program for the day...and then the clown show dragged on too long. Leadership, normally spring loaded to hold people accountable, might have given them a pass since the alternative would have been publicly embarrassing and highly visible firings, with the white house partially responsible for the circumstances. See what I mean?
Old 06-17-2016, 09:50 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2015
Position: Downward Dog

I can't help but daydream that this guy is an Academy grad. I can just picture him showing up at 18 years old only dreaming to someday be a thunderbird performing for his alma mater with the POTUS watching him.
Only to crash.
If not a statue at least a plaque.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:57 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Originally Posted by WesternSkies View Post
I can't help but daydream that this guy is an Academy grad. I can just picture him showing up at 18 years old only dreaming to someday be a thunderbird performing for his alma mater with the POTUS watching him.
Only to crash.
If not a statue at least a plaque.
Statue! Plaques usually end up in a cardboard box, or at home on an "I love me wall"...
Old 06-17-2016, 11:42 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2010
Position: Baja Vermont

Exactly, rickair777. There is no evidence of fire and 100 gallons would certainly caused some fire. The comments on the link are silly, too. F-16 has 2600nm range according to one reader.

GF
Old 08-15-2016, 07:22 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Nov 2008

Jumpseated with a guy last week who was good friends with TB6 and had talked with him. Confirmed he ran out of gas but gave no other details.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:31 PM
Get me outta here...

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: Boeing right seat

I hear the SIB has been completed.
Can anyone post a link to the AF website that has archived all of the SIB reports from the past few years? The old link doesn't work.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:46 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2013

I haven't found an updated one either. Here is another resource. Doesn't have the TB report yet though.
http://www.airforcemag.com/AircraftA...s/default.aspx