Notices
Military Military Aviation

Thunderbird Crash-AFA Graduation

Old 06-16-2016, 11:18 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2011
Position: Retired
Default Thunderbird Crash-AFA Graduation

Saw this on another forum. Anybody have confirmation?

As you know, these events are timed to the second. The F-16s took off on time and formed up to start the show. However, the president was behind schedule and the White House (secret service) ground director told the Thunderbirds to hold on our side the show area. This continued until two F-16s declared emergency due to low fuel. They were told not to land due to presidential security. One bird ran out of fuel and the pilot punched out. Another defied instruction and landed but ran out of gas on final. The others then landed without permission.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:25 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2011
Position: retired 767(dl)

Boy, I hope that is wrong, if not, we are in deeper crap than I thought.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:34 AM
Organizational Learning 

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Directly behind the combiner

Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post

Saw this on another forum.

Which forum? Where?

Old 06-16-2016, 01:04 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2010

'Thanks Obama' -- Internet trolls blame president for Thunderbird crash | Colorado Springs Gazette, News
Old 06-16-2016, 01:18 PM
Organizational Learning 

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Directly behind the combiner

I'm sorry, but I can't consider that to be a serious source. Did you even read the article?

The Gazette

Thanks Obama' -- Internet trolls blame president for Thunderbird crash

While the investigation into the cause of an Air Force Thunderbirds crash in Colorado Springs is ongoing, the internet has found someone to blame: President Barack Obama.

It appears to be a thoroughly fictional tale.

Need we read further?

The rumor, floating around in several forms, says Obama’s late arrival at Air Force Academy graduation June 2 – or some other presidential misstep -- caused Thunderbird 6 to run out of fuel and crash into a field south of the Colorado Springs Airport.

“The entire flight ran low on fuel and being number six for landing he was on fumes and elected to head it for a field where he put it down as he ejected,” one version sent to me several times says.

And the president, according to the rumor, arrogantly ignored the pilot’s fate.

“Meanwhile Obama blithely goes his way with nary an apology,” the email said.

Here are two big problems with the account:

Thunderbird six had plenty of fuel. Air Force crews had to pump more than 100 gallons of fuel from the plane’s internal tanks before the wreckage was hauled back to a Peterson Air Force Base hangar.
Using the most conservative math, Thunderbird 6 had enough fuel to make a safe landing in Wyoming.

The second problem: “Obama blithely goes his way” fails to take into account how the president changed his motorcade route so he could stop and meet with Maj. Alex Turner, the pilot of the doomed plane.

Some other issues: I’ve flown with the Thunderbirds and they are serious, steely-eyed checklisters. If they were running low on fuel, they would have cut their show over the academy short.

Some versions on the internet cite “tower traffic” as the source. I’ve listened to the tapes and can’t find it.

I’ve talked to some pretty smart people, and they say Thunderbird 6 likely suffered an engine failure.

There are parts of the internet story that are true: Obama was in Colorado Springs and a Thunderbird did crash.

The rest I’d take as urban legend until the facts are in. The Air Force investigation could take until August, sources say.

For what it's worth, the same thought crossed my mind. I've just not found a trustworthy, reliable source to substantiate the theory.

Old 06-16-2016, 01:47 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2011
Position: Retired

Originally Posted by TonyC View Post
Which forum? Where?

UPS union forum
Old 06-16-2016, 02:53 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2010
Position: Baja Vermont

Tony c

I seriously doubt 100 gallons of gas would take a Viper from COS to any safe landing in Wyoming. The lack of fire damage is interesting in any case. I'm guessing an overhead pattern burns 60 of them.

GF
Old 06-16-2016, 03:05 PM
Get me outta here...

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: Boeing right seat

There has been a lot of speculation on this, starting a few hours after the mishap. Lots of interesting info... but none of it that I've seen has been from an official or named-and-credible source.

I am a bit surprised they are flying this weekend, since the investigation cannot have nearly all of the facts yet. But "the show must go on". Also, it's great that #6 had nary a scratch after that ejection.

I saw a link from that Military Corruption site that blamed Mr Obama. While I am no Obama apologist, that is a pretty ignorant and ridiculous accusation to make, even if #6 did flameout for fuel starvation... which I am not implying that he did.
Old 06-16-2016, 03:10 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2010
Position: Baja Vermont

I'd bet they know enough or the T'birds wouldn't be flying this weekend. The fact they are flying means it must be pretty clear cut to the board--no mysterious mechanical problem or blameworthy supervisory error (Tbird lead hasn't been relieved). That lends some credence to the fuel exhaustion story, but doesn't put the President to blame, either.

GF
Old 06-16-2016, 04:06 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: Walmart Greeter

Does the Viper have a BINGO bug?