Notices

Somebody Gets It.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:25 PM
Straight QOL, homie

Joined APC: Feb 2012
Position: Record-Shattering Profit Facilitator
Default Somebody Gets It.

From a FB post. Thankfully we have some good men holding the line.
This response to my email:

Mike,

My two cents underwhelmed is an understatement.

Sick leave shouldn’t have been touched. Myself and a small number of reps opposed touching this. It is much better than the previous TA, but is NOT a win for the pilots, you will likely hear otherwise. This has been a very contentious topic, the MEC had good intentions and assurances for doing this, but didn't pan out as explained. We made numerous recommendations which were less onerous and used in the past but was refused.

This is far from being an industry leading contract, at this point in time.

There are no substantial gains for the pilots, as of yet, but simply addressing the companies wants, which you have addressed. In my opinion this equals concessions.

[C1 S/T] made some compelling arguments on the floor for increased per-diem/Conus rates, this was opposed by one of our negotiators and got no traction after that. Are we done? no we will push it again.

If we cant improve on anything during this period it is an epic failure. By my last account we are NOT in bankruptcy and should not negotiate an agreement that dictates such. This might be a cultural belief, but the process needs to change as our pilots deserve an industry leading contract, not a repetitive path that continues to erode the good we have in the PWA every time we are in negotiations. My guess is, Ed Bastian is no longer loosing sleep thinking he hasn't taken enough from the pilots right now, personally I think he is making up for what he couldn't take by continuing to reward management and shareholders with billions of dollars, but he and shareholders refuse to settle with the pilots, the group that sacrificed the most. In my opinion a time out may be in order.

Since coming into office I have fought at every meeting to address the lack of retirement issues for our pilots and have had little success. As of recently there has been some discussions, but I am still concerned it is just getting enough attention to say it is being addressed, and could see the can kicked down the road by attorneys due to complex issues, blah,blah, blah. I will not give up on this issue, especially in lite of what our group has given up in the past compared to our peers at other airlines, again, did I mention management has no qualms continuing to enrich themselves.

With a failed TA behind us, and better agreements being negotiated by FEDEX, UPS, UAL, (and Allegiant not really in our category) the message should be loud and clear, I’m concerned certain members of ALPA and management learned nothing from the last TA failure and have elected to only hear what they want from the pilots, but not what the pilots are really saying.

Thank you for staying engaged and sending your comments to us. Please continue to do so.

If Not Now Never!

Regards,

[JL]
Captain Representative & Chairman
Delta Airlines ALPA MSP Council 1

....What I read into this is that there are still reps who adhere to the Moak doctrine. It was suggested in another thread that the NMB is controlling this and that our hands are tied. I think that's malarkey. A convenient scapegoat if you will. The limiting factor is reps who, for whatever reason, aren't willing to push for significant gains. That and members of the SPC who lack either vision or backbone. We heard from one a few days ago who waxed eloquent in a dubious and self-serving post. I still think JM is the right man for the job but I'm beginning to think there are forces at play that may be beyond his control. If ALPA mucks this TA up, they deserve whatever the backlash that follows.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:11 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2015
Position: I got into this business so I wouldn't have to work.

The voice of one...crying in the wilderness.
Sad there aren't 12,999 just like him.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:43 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008

I'm glad to know we have some soldiers still holding the line.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:25 AM
Snake

Joined APC: May 2015

Ah, beautiful. The spare, yet witty cave drawings of Jon Lewis. The math challenged jarhead who once head-butted the NWA MEC Vice Chairman in a Minneapolis hotel lobby, and topped that lofty stunt by wearing an M1911A1 on his hip to the MEC's annual fish fry. Because nothing screams "ALPA Family Awareness" like open carry.

He had me at "loosing," but sealed the deal at "blah blah blah." Wow. Nailed it. Spot on. Finally, someone gets it.

All I see here is another willfully ignorant populist who will vote against anything that doesn't resemble complete surrender by management. Jon has never described a strategy that would cause this capitulation, and as usual he ignores the advice of both the negotiators he elected (and directed) and the legal experts we hired to advise us on these matters.

Jon's idiot plan has two steps:
1. Jon vote NO.
2. Jon get phone call from Ed. Ed say he sorry and want to make things better by giving Jon all his money. Jon win. Jon not feeling butt hurt any more. Jon is smart.

Classic Northwest strategy. Vote against everything, wait until we get jammed by a third party, blame it on everyone else, and get re-elected to do it again.

Boys and girls, and there are exactly TWO OUTCOMES:

They can close a TA.
-or-
The NMB can park us.

Reps like Jon are turning us into USAPA. We can go seven years without a new contract, or we can wake up, force our reps to actually do their jobs, and put the final decision in front of the pilots before the summer is over.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:36 AM
Straight QOL, homie

Joined APC: Feb 2012
Position: Record-Shattering Profit Facilitator

If rube attacks him, he must be doing something right.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:36 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2015

Sad.

You don't even have as a possible outcome maintaining our current PWA levels of value

Let alone even having the capacity to entertain our achieving even the slightest level of restoration.

And for this, we pay $50m/year? And you wonder why pilots are thinking there has to be a better, if not less expensive alternative to achieve the same level of capitulation and mediocrity.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:05 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2009
Position: Capt

Originally Posted by rube View Post
Reps like Jon are turning us into USAPA. We can go seven years without a new contract, or we can wake up, force our reps to actually do their jobs, and put the final decision in front of the pilots before the summer is over.
Someone wants his money regardless how it leaves the job for future pilots. not concerned about the AIP's? How much $ are you out so far?
Old 07-27-2016, 11:22 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2011
Position: Cockpit speaker volume knob set to eleven.

Lewis and C1 were one of the first to shine a light through the fog of the DAPLA sales job of TA15. It appears he is doing it again.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:49 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2008
Position: VEOP Retired! 7ER A was last position

Ah, beautiful. The spare, yet witty cave drawings of Jon Lewis. The math challenged jarhead who once head-butted the NWA MEC Vice Chairman in a Minneapolis hotel lobby, and topped that lofty stunt by wearing an M1911A1 on his hip to the MEC's annual fish fry. Because nothing screams "ALPA Family Awareness" like open carry.

He had me at "loosing," but sealed the deal at "blah blah blah." Wow. Nailed it. Spot on. Finally, someone gets it.

All I see here is another willfully ignorant populist who will vote against anything that doesn't resemble complete surrender by management. Jon has never described a strategy that would cause this capitulation, and as usual he ignores the advice of both the negotiators he elected (and directed) and the legal experts we hired to advise us on these matters.

1. Jon vote NO.
2. Jon get phone call from Ed. Ed say he sorry and want to make things better by giving Jon all his money. Jon win. Jon not feeling butt hurt any more. Jon is smart.

Classic Northwest strategy. Vote against everything, wait until we get jammed by a third party, blame it on everyone else, and get re-elected to do it again.

They can close a TA.
-or-
The NMB can park us.

Pretty harsh but something tells me there is a lot of truth in here. Just not sure what. Troubling none the less.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:27 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008

1. Jon vote NO.

They can close a TA.
-or-
The NMB can park us.

So your plan is to attack half the pilot group and have a tantrum? Definitely a winning strategy.