Special issuance medical timeline? >

Special issuance medical timeline?

Notices
Pilot Health FAA medical; health topics

Special issuance medical timeline?

Old 08-08-2016, 04:17 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Apr 2016
Default Special issuance medical timeline?

Anyone have to go through OKC recently? I am just trying to get an idea of how long until I get my 1st class medical. My condition was cancer and I definitely submitted everything they would need. I have heard 4 weeks to 1 year.
Thank you

Last edited by sherpster; 08-08-2016 at 04:18 AM. Reason: None typo
Old 08-08-2016, 07:46 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2011
Position: faa sr. medical examiner (HIMS)

3 months ... maybe 4 or 5. (summer)
Old 08-08-2016, 07:15 PM
In The Clouds

Joined APC: Apr 2011

Sherpster: Congrats on moving forward to get your medical back. I too am a cancer survivor of 2 years. From submission of my initial paperwork on October 1, 2014 (using Aviation Medicine Advisory Service), I received my SIA on 12/2/2014. That included 2 Federal Holidays. My 2015 renewal took 2 weeks.

Best of luck getting back into your seat.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:49 AM
Banned

Thanks and congrats to you. I had what I call the easy cancer (NHL) but I got to witness people during my radiation treatment that gave me a new appreciation for what people go though when they have cancer. Mentally, physically, and emotionally it is a tough thing to overcome. I hope my medical comes back in 2 months also!

Did you call OKC much during that time? I have a friend who said "just call them everyday" but my AME said not to. I agree with my AME but what do I know? What did you do?

Last edited by sherpster; 08-09-2016 at 03:51 AM. Reason: None
Old 08-13-2016, 06:17 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: May 2016

Originally Posted by sherpster View Post
Thanks and congrats to you. I had what I call the easy cancer (NHL) but I got to witness people during my radiation treatment that gave me a new appreciation for what people go though when they have cancer. Mentally, physically, and emotionally it is a tough thing to overcome. I hope my medical comes back in 2 months also!

Did you call OKC much during that time? I have a friend who said "just call them everyday" but my AME said not to. I agree with my AME but what do I know? What did you do?
What sherpster said regading having an appreciation for other patients. Congratulations from another NHL survivor. I had a special issuance renewal take three months earlier this year.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2016, 02:15 PM
In The Clouds

Joined APC: Apr 2011

S: Sorry for the late reply. I never called. My AME called once to see if it was being processed so he could tell me when to come in---that was at the 4 week mark. The folks at AMAS had a tracking mechanism and followed on a regular basis (every 30 days, then I think they did informal follow ups at the 6 week point and then I had it just over 8 weeks).

I was aware of the backlog due to increased SAI requests and low staffing.

My next SAI (renewal) took 2 weeks.

Hang in there and best of luck getting back quickly.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:29 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2012
Position: left seat CRJ (again!)

Originally Posted by Vertigo1960 View Post
S: Sorry for the late reply. I never called. My AME called once to see if it was being processed so he could tell me when to come in---that was at the 4 week mark. The folks at AMAS had a tracking mechanism and followed on a regular basis (every 30 days, then I think they did informal follow ups at the 6 week point and then I had it just over 8 weeks).

I was aware of the backlog due to increased SAI requests and low staffing.

My next SAI (renewal) took 2 weeks.

Hang in there and best of luck getting back quickly.
I sure hope this continues. My paperwork is in DC at the Air Surgeon's office. My issue is a mis-diagonsis for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. I received the 30-day update from AMAS yesterday.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:07 AM
Banned

I just called the FAA medical office at almost exactly the 1 month mark to confirm receipt. The lady on the phone said "Ok, it is in line for the reviewer and I will note on your record that you called" So I then asked if calling is OK or frowned upon. She said to call every other week in case they need additional information (this way you dont have to wait on the official letter requesting more information). She said calling does not change the amount of time in the que or jump anyone in line.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:59 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2012
Position: left seat CRJ (again!)

I received a call last Thursday from AMAS who is handling my appeal. The FAA said they want additional information from two different tests I took earlier.

That's roughly 10 weeks from the date of the letter notifying me the records provided earlier went from OKC to headquarters in DC. At the least, now I know they're looking at it.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:23 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Sep 2015
Default Thyroid Cancer

I was recently diagnosed with thyroid cancer and had both thyroids taken out. Now they are recommending radio active iodine and to take thyroid replacement hormones for life. During the surgery they also found spread of the cancer to local lymph nodes. Can anyone please tell me about the turn around time to get my first class medical back from the FAA? Would i get my medical back if the levels are at 0.1. My treating physician says that my levels would never be normal since they are trying to keep the thyroid hormones down to prevent recurrence. Thus i would never be "euthyroid". What levels will the FAA be looking before issuing the certificate?