Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Career Builder > Flight Schools and Training
Will skipping the CFIs hurt my future? >

Will skipping the CFIs hurt my future?

Notices
Flight Schools and Training Ratings, building hours, airmanship, CFI topics

Will skipping the CFIs hurt my future?

Old 12-14-2016, 08:01 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Dec 2016
Position: SWA FA

Thank you! I appreciate the discussion.

We have 6 schools here in Vegas with one being ATP and the other 5 FBOs. The FBOs range from a run down looking but longest running operation that doesn't have a SIM or even a Multi to a newer place that has all new equipment including a SIM and all glass cockpits. We have yet another who completely switches up how they do their training - they do all ground school and written exams first for PPL, IFR, Commercial, etc and then spend the remainder of the time flying. They don't include the 3 CFIs in their package because they feel it's a waste of time and money right now when the regionals are hiring "anyone with a pulse".

Needless to say, it's not an easy choice to make. For me though, it may solely come down to finances. ATP being the only outfit offering loans with an APR less than 8% makes them the only choice for those without the cash to afford an FBO or personal loan. The FBO that doesn't do the CFIs has his program at roughly $30k which is more managable than the 50-60 elsewhere.

I think that I lean towards getting the CFIs for two reasons. First, as you all said, part of a captain's duties are to teach when necessary and having some experience with that would make me a better captain. Second, it allows me more opportunities for employment after school if an outfit like Scenic doesn't hire me.

This is a great place for information and advice and I am happy I found it. Thank you again for the responses.

Fly safe,

~ Dan
Old 12-14-2016, 03:04 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Sep 2016

Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
If one is spending a hundred thousand to achieve pilot certification, then one is an idiot.
Originally Posted by kingsnake2 View Post
I hope you didn't have to spend $100k to get to the airlines . Our two year collegiate program for 0-CFII, tuition, books, checkrides, housing costs with a single room, etc, would still be under $100k.
A 4 year Bachelor's degree, and flight training cost in excess of $100k. And no I don't mean ERAU or UND. Those are of course much more expensive.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:07 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Dec 2016
Position: SWA FA

Originally Posted by NMuir View Post
A 4 year Bachelor's degree, and flight training cost in excess of $100k. And no I don't mean ERAU or UND. Those are of course much more expensive.
Yep. 110k is what I hear quoted the most. Now, I already have my degree so that wouldn't make sense in my scenario.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:59 PM
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Originally Posted by GingerDan View Post
They don't include the 3 CFIs in their package because they feel it's a waste of time and money right now when the regionals are hiring "anyone with a pulse".
No, they're not.

They can't.

Applicants need to be ATP qualified.

A four year degree isn't part of the cost of being a pilot (nor necessary to gain employment as a pilot). It's certainly not justification for entitlement, or the arrogance to feel entitled, and it doesn't entitle one to employment as a pilot. A four year degree is a degree. Not a pilot certificate. One may as well tack on mechanic certification, welding school, the police academy, and work experience as a soy bean farmer. All maybe useful additions for certain kinds of aviation employment as well...but none are part of the cost of learning to fly or being qualified to seek employment as a pilot.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:20 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2012

Well then US Aviation has a great option for you!

As an in-state student, total cost for your associates and 0-CFII is approximately $67k+living costs. Two additional years at UNT would run you around $20K+ living costs. So that is $87k+ living costs for 0-CFII and a bachelor's degree.

I guess you could consider "living costs" part of the cost of training, but that is what a part time job is for.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:53 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Sep 2016

Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
A four year degree isn't part of the cost of being a pilot (nor necessary to gain employment as a pilot).
If you want to graduate from the regionals it is
Old 12-15-2016, 06:25 PM
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

If you want to graduate from the regionals it is
No, it's not. Are you implying that "graduating from the regionals" means another airline job?

Are you not aware that there are more places in the world to work? Neither life, nor the industry at large, is confined to a major airline, and there are many places in the industry where a degree is not required; many where it's not even considered.

Moreover, regardless of one's plans, the cost of a degree is irrelevant; it's not part of the cost of learning to fly. Don't blame the expense of becoming a pilot on the cost of a degree. It's a separate matter.

Regardless, the degree is no entitlement.
Old 12-16-2016, 12:31 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2014

Getting your CFIs is not mandatory. But you had better be VERY confident in your ability to land a different job at 300 hours with a wet commercial. You'll need something to fill the gap between that and 1500 hours TT.
Old 12-16-2016, 05:37 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008

Do you have a 4 year degree and what is it in and GPA. If not with 59 hours I would focus on getting a good degree with a decent GPA as the best near term decision you can make. Put the flying on the back burner if you have not completed your degree.
If you have the degree and know you can get a job that will allow you to build time quickly then go the non CFI route.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:23 AM
Livin' the dream!

Joined APC: Jun 2016
Position: CA 75/76
Default C-150F IFR @$34/hr

My son's path was to buy an IFR C-150F ($17K) fly until hired. Took him ~400TT. Cost ~$35k. Including a multi add-on. Job offer at scenic (GCA) & Mokulele in HNL. PPL1/6/2014 job offer 6/3/2014. Don't screw around, get the time asap you only get 1 chance to get a low seniority number!

CFI Ratings aren't as important as TPIC.

Good luck!