Boutique Air - Updated Info >

Boutique Air - Updated Info

Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Boutique Air - Updated Info

Old 12-12-2018, 04:06 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2017

I am assuming that post was about AC, as flying out of Denver in the summer can get pretty hot, especially with Boutique's conservative use of the aircraft's AC and janky ground AC carts.

I have seen temps inside the cabin as high as 48º C, and after an hour long flight with functional AC we were only able to get it down to 35ºC.

With no AC at all, it could absolutely be unsafe to fly in that kind of heat.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:52 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2017

Last summer, I flew a number of flights from DFW as well as PHX without operable electrically powered AC. At summertime temps, the PACKS aren’t very effective. I felt badly about it. Once, I had a guy come up at 1000’ AGL while on climb out complaining about the heat. (Dude, please sit down!”)
I didn’t have the opportunity to fly without pressurization, however I spoke to other Captains who had. In my experience, the previous poster about unsafe MX was out of line in his comments. I did, rarely though, catch MX errors in my preflights. That is what I was paid to do as a PIC. I didn’t ***** about it, I just did what was necessary to take care of it when it was found.
Furthermore, I was never “pressured’ to fly, as others allege to have been. Also, I made good decisions as to where I chose to land in diversions and never heard a peep about my decisions from any management.
Is BTQ the perfect place to work? Absolutely not, but I believe there are probably far worse in the 135 world. Choose wisely, or as my elders would say, “Pick your poison.”

Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
I am assuming that post was about AC, as flying out of Denver in the summer can get pretty hot, especially with Boutique's conservative use of the aircraft's AC and janky ground AC carts.

I have seen temps inside the cabin as high as 48º C, and after an hour long flight with functional AC we were only able to get it down to 35ºC.

With no AC at all, it could absolutely be unsafe to fly in that kind of heat.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:16 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2017

My main concern at Boutique was that there were a lot of fairly inexperienced/new captains who would feel pressured to fly in conditions that they might not be comfortable with for fear of getting into trouble, written up, etc. This could include weather, maintenance deferrals, single pilot ops, whatever.

I was pressured multiple times not to write things up by mx control while at Boutique, but I did it anyway because I am comfortable making those choices. Heck, I'm the reason that PDX got a deice cart, AC cart, and some chairs for non-local pilots to rest in on the long sits (the chairs kinda suck, unfortunately, but they recline which was better than what we had before). Things actually changed for the better whenever I put my foot down, but I was always concerned that many captains with less experience making decisions didn't have the courage to do the same for fear of retribution.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:46 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Absolutely agree on experience level (at the FO level as well) and changes for the better by exerting positive influence. Good man!
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
My main concern at Boutique was that there were a lot of fairly inexperienced/new captains who would feel pressured to fly in conditions that they might not be comfortable with for fear of getting into trouble, written up, etc. This could include weather, maintenance deferrals, single pilot ops, whatever.

I was pressured multiple times not to write things up by mx control while at Boutique, but I did it anyway because I am comfortable making those choices. Heck, I'm the reason that PDX got a deice cart, AC cart, and some chairs for non-local pilots to rest in on the long sits (the chairs kinda suck, unfortunately, but they recline which was better than what we had before). Things actually changed for the better whenever I put my foot down, but I was always concerned that many captains with less experience making decisions didn't have the courage to do the same for fear of retribution.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:38 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013

How are the flight benefits that Boutique employees have on Alaska, Frontier and United? Thanks
Old 01-13-2019, 05:20 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jun 2017

Not good. You have the second to last standby priority code. Using the ZED fairs on international flights are typically much easier because the flights aren’t as full. Domestic is much tougher, especially going to places like Hawaii.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:35 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by DirtyMike View Post
Not good. You have the second to last standby priority code. Using the ZED fairs on international flights are typically much easier because the flights aren’t as full. Domestic is much tougher, especially going to places like Hawaii.
Thanks for the clarification
Old 01-26-2019, 09:17 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Default February class

Anyone in the February 4 class?
Old 01-29-2019, 07:32 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Aug 2017
Default Atlanta Base

Does anyone know what the schedule would be like if based in Atlanta?
Old 01-29-2019, 02:28 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by WHDC View Post
Does anyone know what the schedule would be like if based in Atlanta?
Schedules are basically the same, no matter which domicile you are based in. You go to work, fly back and forth, spend the night at an outstation then return home after flying back and forth the next day.