View Single Post
Old 06-10-2011, 05:22 PM
IdahoFlyer
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2010
Default College Education's Role in Aviation

This is just my two cents on the topic, but after reading many posts on this and other threads I can't help but state the following:
Do I have a 4 year degree? Yes. Do I feel that it has helped my aviation career? No, in terms of getting me a job, but in terms of performing my job, yes.
There are pilots out there, especially those new to the industry, who feel that a 4 year degree is going to set them apart from others in ways that will get them the job. The truth of the matter is that a degree only demonstrates to a potential employer that you have the ability to learn. It does not, however, qualify one for a job when the required hours aren't in their logbook. Aviation is an insurance driven industry. Underwriters care only about hours, and not just total hours. Time in type, multi time, night time, actual instrument time are all requirements of insurers. They want to be sure that the guy up front knows what he's doing. Does that mean that a guy with lower than required times couldnt perform the job just as well? No, but to the insurance company it does. I don't know of a single insurance company that really cares if a pilot has a degree.
Why am I writing this? I've seen so many posts (mostly from those with wet certificates) that ask "am I qualified," "should I apply," or "why haven' I heard back from...". Often these posts simply show a lack of knowledge of the industry. That is okay. That's what these forums are for. We are all here to learn from others. Reading the same questions over and over again does get a little old though.
So to the newbs and those who just haven't figured it out yet your 4 year degree from the pilot mill (like mine from the riddle) doesn't qualify you for a job for which your hours don't. So don't get a sense of entitlement, because none of us are entitled to our jobs. Your degree will show employers either within or outside of aviation that you have the ability and desire to study.
So just keep in mind that to make it in aviation you need to be personable, friendly, persistent, PATIENT, and QUALIFIED. There are no short cuts. There's no quick way to the top. And there's now way to get qualified without experience. Enjoy the hard work, low pay and interesting jobs that lead to your ultimate goal.
Don't let the delusions inspired by the pilot mills blind you to the truths and facts. Education is important and experience is king, but none of those are guarantees.
Sorry for the length. This is something that I feel many (newbs) don't understand. Enjoy!