Old 12-16-2005, 04:41 PM
ChrisH
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005

Originally Posted by F15AvionicsTech
Hey folks!

This is my first post here, and I'll try to keep it brief.

I just turned 22 on the 12th of December and I'm hoping to start my career in aviation this new year. I currently work full time for the Louisiana Air National Guard as an F-15 Avionics Tech (Hence the name...). I've been flip-flopping with my plans for going forward with this career.
Originally I wanted to get my folks to co-sign a huge loan to attend Regional Airline Academy in FL. However, after reading a lot on this forums about the state of aviation and about these 'fast-track' schools, I've decided to take it slow.
Currently, my plan is to continue working for the guard while also attending flight school to get my PPL. Hence why I'm posting, I'd like to hear if anyone knows of any decent schools around the Baton Rouge/New Orleans area. I assume that Part 61 or 141 will be fine for PPL?

Anyways, everyones thoughts are welcome.
I live in the Baton Rouge area, and recently inslisted into the LA ANG, 159th Fighter Wing. I will be a crew chief. I haven't left for basic, and tech. school yet, but maybe we will see each other around soon.

As far as flight schools, there are a couple of 141 flight schools in New Orleans, such as Flight Academy of New Orleans. I am not sure how good they are, as I do not attend, but they appear to offer everything.

Currently I am taking instruction from a 'free-lance' instructor in Baton Rouge. I like him, and plan to stick with him through my commercial, and CFI, etc. It will be much cheaper than a 141 school, and I like the more one-on-one, rather than being in a larger school.

If you would like, I can provide you my instructors contact info., as well, there are many other 'free-lance' instructors in the Baton Rouge area, as I am sure the New Orleans area as well.