Old 06-18-2011, 08:50 PM
detpilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: Trying not to crash

Originally Posted by Texandrvr View Post
Please realize that the article on about.com does not come straight from the AF. I would have the AFI in hand before I think about doing anything. Also, the AF has, in the past, restricted PRK and LASIK waivers to candidates who received the surgery from the AF. I don't know if that has changed, but, I would be 100% sure before I spent my hard earned money at a civilian LASIK drive through clinic that does 20 procedures an hour.

BTW, The AF did my PRK 4 1/2 years ago and I'm still better than 20/15 in both eyes. Very happy with the results and the only cost was I had to be out of the cockpit for 30 days.
Originally Posted by fdx727pilot View Post
This is not in reference to pilots in particular, but the AF in general. Early last year, my stepson was trying to enlist in the AF. His father had previously paid for him to undergo Lasik surgery. My stepson had to wait about 8 months to go through a waiver process to even enlist. Once that was approved by the AF medical establishment, he was eligible to try for enlisted aircrew slots. Apparently, the AF is not too thrilled with Lasik they do not perform.
In the air national guard, it's approved. PM me for details, you'll have a 12 month wait before you can get a FC1. Doesn't have to be done by the AF, LASIK, EPI LASIK (Preferred), and PRK are approved. First hand knowledge.