Old 01-13-2007, 11:50 AM
planecrazyjenn
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: BE-76

8 months is rather quick for someone working full time. If your willing to devote yourself to some kind of training academy where you fly almost everyday...it's good. If you have a 40 hour per week job, and can only afford and have the time to fly once or twice a week...then it's going to take you longer. I don't know your current situation. It shouldn't cost you anywhere near 45K unless your doing all your training in a multi. All my training is multi, and it's only 39K. Use the cheapest plane you have...seriously, you don't need a brand spankin new 172SP with G1000 if your doing your private. If they have a 152 on field, go with that...it's always cheaper, and will always be my fav. trainer. It's what a used...then after your checkride, get checked out in bigger and better toys.

Otherwise, Rick hit it. Talking to instructors and students are definitely a good way to figure out the real low down on the school. Also, once you do get started...if your not happy with your training...switch instructors. Your the paying customer, and it's your training...not all CFI teaching techniques work for all students. Get what you pay for.

As for the Tampa area, I'll have to look up some old buddies of mine. I always liked the older guys who are retired...they usually had some off the wall advice that part 141 just can't get you. It's too structured, and isn't really practical. I found that part 141 doesn't train you for real world situations, as much as it does by a syllabus...which is fine if you just want the rating...and it's seemed to work for many years. But it's just me...I liked 61. The only major difference with 141 is the time for the commercial, and it waives the 50hr cross country requirement for the instrument. This is definitely good if your looking to hurry up and get a CFI...it's much nicer to get paid to fly, rather than spend 100/hr to fly those extra hours. Just a thought.

I'll get back with you on some names.