View Single Post
Old 08-13-2011, 02:33 PM
MD11Fr8Dog
...Whatever It Is!

Joined APC: Jul 2006

About half of the domestic flying is day flying, and the growth at FedEx is currently In the international markets. Internationally, you can go to HKG or CGN and do the hub turn thing, or you can fly the MD11 around the world or bounce around Europe or Asia for up to 12 days (not really day or night flying if you ask me), or fly long haul shorter duration 777 trips. Of course, any and all of these options require at least a tiny bit of seniority, and most should be attainable within the first 3-5yrs.

Personally, I liked the 12 day around the world trips for about 8-10 yrs, until I upgraded to Capt (at the 10yr mark). I can't hold that regularly as a junior MD Capt now, but I get lucky every now and then. Other than that, I try to minimize my commutes - week on/week off ideally. Deadheads help too, ie. traveling on the clock as opposed to a day off to get to/from MEM. When all else fails, I sleep till I'm hungry, then eat till I'm tired.

For demographic and comparison purposes - been here 15 1/2 yrs, 50 yrs old, have a wife and 7yo daughter and I commute (3-3.5 hrs door to door, house to MEM, on a FedEx Jumpseat - was 7.5-9 hrs before we moved 5 yrs ago). When I'm home I do ALL the school pick ups/drop offs, volunteer when needed at school, run my daughter to her events (soccer, gymnastics, golf, riding, etc.) and give my wife a break. I just spent 4 days on a road trip with my daughter - amusement park, hiking and mtn biking in the mountains, etc.. Also, I will not think twice about going to the crashpad in MEM rather than hang out and wait for a jumpseat home if I'm really tired when I arrive in MEM at night at the end of a trip - I then get sleep at a more normal time, then catch a pax jumpseat home in the morning..

YMMV, void where prohibited, some contents may have shifted during shipping and handling....