View Single Post
Old 08-13-2011, 02:36 PM
finedavefine
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2011

beatupsuitcase,

As has been said, live in whatever domicile you're assigned to. Expect to get your last choice of lines/reserve for perhaps a year or so, depending on when you're hired, relative to the ongoing hiring. If you're at the front of the wave, you could possibly be off reserve in as little as 3 or 4 months, but if you're at the back of the wave, with no hiring for some period, it could stretch on for 3, 4, or even 5 years. 5 years on reserve could suck, but living in base could make it a little better.

Night flying is a fact of life here, and if you feel you can't adjust to it, based on your previous flying, then I'd look for other employment, where they don't do much night flying. One saving grace is that as we get older, we usually sleep a little less, so you have that going for you.

As for "keeping your family together", I don't believe that there's really one answer that fits all. That said, it does help if you have a spouse who understands the rigors of your job, and is willing to give you a little slack the first day home from a week-long trip. The kids will also have to understand that while you're working, you're gone, but when you are home, they can be made your first priority, after your wife of course.

However, this entire discussion may be a moot point, unless you've already been offered an interview. Good luck.

And for HankHill, all I can say to you is: That's some beautiful butt you show there, and that's all I'm going to say about that.