View Single Post
Old 08-14-2011, 06:58 AM
TheDashRocks
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: DHC-8 CA Furloughed

Originally Posted by SkyWest View Post
I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid, I'm just saying I'm as happy with my company as I can reasonably be. It wont matter how much I whine and complain unless the legendary labor shortage really does finally materialize.

If you have any better ideas for a guy with a two-year degree and no PIC time right now, I'm all ears. I'm pretty sure I'm where I belong within the industry and that I'm at one of the better companies. We'll see, ...things change.

...If we can try to hold our heads up, and still try to look proud as we walk through the terminal, I think it might work to our advantage.

I'm not saying that we might not have good reason to...talk about being overpaid bus drivers. What I am saying is that it rubs off on the public and that (all-by-itself) makes it easier for the companies to continue paying us the way they are.

...I try to continue to be proud of what I do, and who I do it for, despite their apparent (industry wide) growing lack of interest in their labor force. ...hope that makes me a little more acceptable, or at least understandable.
It is fine to feel pride in professionally fulfilling the responsibilities placed upon you. I went through a very tough period with an employer in a different segment of aviation. I decided that I would not give them power over my life by feeling angry and miserable all the time.

It is not our fault that companies are using every means at their disposal to reduce our pay and benefits. They are doing it to us, we are not doing it to ourselves.

Earlier you asked for ideas about what is to be done. None of us will fix this as an army of one. What can you do? Give your support to efforts to bring a union onto SKW property. Then work with other unionized pilot groups to keep our problems before Congress and the public. Find groups within your union trying to get us out of the Railway Labor Act so that the weapon of a strike can be used within a reasonable period of time. Today every employer knows time is on their side at the bargaining table.

Don't be one of those slack jaws whose only contribution to his fellow pilots is logging on to APC so that he can refer to ALPA as ALPO. That was funny the first ten times, but after ten thousand it gets a little tired.

The Dash Whisperer