Thread: NJA vs FDX
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 07:42 AM
Pakagecheck
trip trading freak

Joined APC: Oct 2010
Position: MD-11

A very good friend works there in the G-V division. Loves it. We did a comparison between our 2 jobs last year and here is a basic breakdown. Please understand this is at the current contract and economy and could change anytime. It is just a snapshot.

Pay
Fedex take the hourly and multiply it by 1000 to get an accurate annual salary. So, around 6th year wb F/O, he made up what he lost and started to gain. This was him being a WB f/o year 3.

Retirement
A plan - figured him being at Fedex for 20 years so 40% of his ave high 5. All extra since NJ doesn't have this.
401k/B plan - NJ has the 401 K plus matching. Purple has a whole $500 matching for it's 401k, but the B plan is 7%. So as a WB f/o the B plan would be at least 7-8k more a year than the 401k matching.

Medical - equivalent

Days of work (average)
My Bud does the 7/7. so he works 26 weeks a year or 182 days
Fedex - 8 4 wk months(ave 12 days) and 4 5 week months(ave 15 days) = 156 days
reserve(15 days) (19 days) = 196 days

I'm at 80% as a captain and I was sched to work 160 days last year. We have some of the best trips in the industry, but we definitely have some of the worst also! But, many of my trips showed me working but being able to be flexible on the front end deadheads or back end deadheads, I was able to significantly lower that number. by more than a day a month.

Commute - NJs deadheads you to and from work. On your work day! nice! Fedex has many deadheads available that are enticing if you don't live in domicile (which I don't).

Vacation - he and I had greater than 10 years so we both had 4 weeks. Fedex gives you a 5th week at 20 yrs.

Seniority - Correct me if I am wrong but once you are a captain, he gave me the impression that seniority didn't have anything to do with the trips or your schedule.
Fedex - Everything is based on it.

Sick leave - I forget what he got but I get 72 hours (equiv to one 4 wk month a year)

Overall, he and I agreed that my pay was better while working less. My retirement was much better. We both really liked our jobs.

Solution - he made his wife get a job and that balanced it out somewhat.

This was just a comparison between he and I. I hope this information helps!
Cheers
Pakage