View Single Post
Old 01-18-2007, 04:44 PM
ExDeltaPilot
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: 737 F/O

Originally Posted by Jetjok View Post
As you, I agree 100% with Shackone's comments. However, I disagree with you on your comment about reserve pay. I sat reserve for two years, the first as a flight engineer and the second as THE junior-most MD-11 captain. In both cases, it meant I had to be away from home for even more days than a normal line-holder. As well, all the days where I wasn't used, I was on my own nickel. Reserve pilots are paid, not for actually flying the line, but for giving their company the flexibility that's required to account for guys going sick in the field, guys just forgetting they have a trip, additional flights that need to be manned, last minute sick calls, etc, etc. I would think that the vast majority of us would rather fly than sit around waiting for "the call", but since our companies require this flexibility, I just don't see it going away. Southwest guys work a lot, and maybe that company uses reserve guys as semi-line holders, but I know that that philosophy just will not work at FedEx, UPS, or a number of other long-haul airlines. Besides, if you've ever sat around a crashpad for 16 straight days, you'd realize that it is "WORK."
Agree with you on the reserve comments. My point was when the airlines are way overmanned you get guys getting a lot of pay with little work. I agree sitting around a crash pad away from home is WORK. I don't think the companies really looked at what reserve manning they really needed to fill the schedule and when business was good you could overhire and worry about the extra guys later.