View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011, 04:27 AM
NowCorporate
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2008

The value varies....but all in all I dont think either one carries much weight. I never saw anyone get hired or promoted over another person in corporate aviation (Fortune 5 to single airplane) by having an advanced degree. It certainly does not hurt, but its just not expected or needed.

Do it for yourself, and pick something you are interested in. Education is something you always get to keep and take with you...and its especially nice if someone else is paying for it! Never pass up that opportunity.

The CAM certification is pretty much a joke. With a few years experience and a handful of 5th grade level 6 week long classes anyone qualifies to take it. All it says is that you (or someone) paid $1500 to go take an exam. Unless your employer specifically requested it and it does something for you, I would not put much effort into becoming a "CAM" Everyone knows what it takes to become a "CAM" and most get a laugh out of people who think its some kind of credential....Jane Pilot, CAM....

At the end of the day its still airplane flying. A single pilot King Air to a fleet of long range jets at a Fortune 5 company its still flying. Yes, a degree of any kind checks the box but hiring/retention/promotion is still very much hinged on your personality, skills, and experience...not a Masters degree.

Good Luck!

Last edited by NowCorporate; 09-27-2011 at 05:00 AM.