View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011, 02:47 AM
zach141
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: holding pattern

Originally Posted by C17 Driver View Post
I've got a year left on my commitment in the AF, and have been offered a C17 IP slot, that if I took would extend me 1 year (2 year payback commitment). I'm leaning toward just getting out and joining the Reserves while searching for an airline gig, but I'm wondering if the IP time would make a difference in A) getting into the Reserves; B) getting into the airlines. I've got 2000 TT, 1000 PIC in the C17.

Any Reservists know how many IP billets units are getting these days? I'd love to take it, I had mine yanked from me when I went to a "green door" for my 2nd assignment, and now that I've come back would do it if not for the service commitment.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Unless you can get a Guard/Reserve unit to *promise* you a job as Albie described, I would have to say: take the IP slot. If you elect to stay in, you need it. If you're applying to the ANG/USAFR, it's a plus. It (more or less) locks you into the C-17 (assuming you like/enjoy the C-17), forestalling a PCS. It gets you better "deals", i.e. more control within your current squadron (scheduling). It extends you a year at senior O-3 or junior O-4 pay (not shabby). My two cents.