View Single Post
Old 10-11-2011, 06:55 PM
Clear Right
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008

Originally Posted by gloopy View Post
Maybe but how is that bad for AA? They will remain strong in JFK and this could start a very interesting fight for JB between SWA who will likely want and can afford them and AA who will need them.

Although SWA can always run up the price, let AA get JB then squeal to the government and demand mass quantities of slot charity for free. Ditto for VA if that happens too.

Anyway hopefully this is net growth for Delta Air Lines, especially mainline, and not just some capacity reshuffle or DCI outsourcepallooza.

I wonder how much we will end up competing with ourselves since we will still have to have a substantial domestic presence out of JFK no matter what. The failed model of the past where Delta thought people love to fly into LGA and self cab and recheck in JFK won't cut it against AA or even a stand alone JB that code shares with every flag carrier on earth and it won't even cut it with a single airport system at EWR for UCAL.
i just don't see either AA or SWA buying JetBlue anytime soon. SWA has hands full and a few years to complete the AirTran merger. AA is on the verge of BK and JetBlue has one of the best cash positions in the industry with over 6.5 Billion in assets, about 3 billion of debt and close to 1.2 Billion in unrestricted cash. Yes AA would love to buy B6, but too expensive. Ever consider B6 buying AA when they declare CH11. Just Kidding.

JetBlue has over 10 Interline Partnerships with foreign carriers, they are the largest Domestic Carrier in JFK and soon to be in BOS, if not already. Have you looked at their route map lately. Largest carrier in Puerto Rico and with something like 25-30% international in the carribean. Just don't think anybody can afford them right now, although everybody would love to buy them to get rid of one of the best products (competition) currently airborne. I would be more worried about a B6 and VA merger, they both have great products.

Last edited by Clear Right; 10-11-2011 at 07:07 PM.