Thread: 141 vs. 61
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2005, 12:59 PM
FlyerJosh
Chief Jeppesen Updater

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: Executive Transport Driver

Originally Posted by PDXStudent
Thanks guys for the responses. I now feel more confident about going the 141 route. Before I begin my actual flight training though and am able to officially enroll in the flight school, my CFI told me I need a medical. I guess I'll just go for a 3rd Class right now, since I'm not flying commercially and thus wouldn't need the a 1st Class. Would you all agree that I only need a 3rd Class? Also, question about that, I made an appointment for a medical, but the lady who scheduled me did not say whether or not to eat that day. Do I need to fast for a blood test for the 3rd Class, or are blood tests not a part of the exam?

If you plan on flying commercially someday, I'd highly recommend paying the extra $10-20 and get the first class medical. After that, it will be a full 3 years before you need to get another medical (or when you fly commercially, whichever comes first).

The medical really isn't that big a deal and the difference between 1st and 3rd class is negligible assuming you are younger than 35 (otherwise you need an EKG).

But that way you can be certain early on that medical issues won't you down the line.

Oh and don't worry about eating or not... the worst you'll have to do is pee in the little cup and fill out paperwork about your medical history.

Last edited by FlyerJosh; 12-23-2005 at 01:05 PM.