Old 11-12-2011, 07:09 AM
HerkDriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2007
Position: A300 F/O

[QUOTE=ptarmigan;1083625]Which means that you want to go directly into "real" negotiations and if they do not agree based on their assessment of the current economic times they must be only "falling in line"?
QUOTE]

What are you talking about dude?

I've made no comments regarding the upcoming decision about the "relief valve" option in our current contract, so don't put words in my mouth and say that I want to go directly into anything. FYI - the newly elected reps won't even take office until after the decision has long since been made about whether or not we take the 3% raise or return to, as you call it, "real" negotiations. We should hear something regarding the relief valve option some time during the first week of January. How do I know? P2P call this past week. Not a P2P rep. Just thought it was important enough to listen in on....

As for your other comments, I still don't have a clue what you are saying...

In my opinion, a block rep has the responsibilitiy to determine what the majority of his block feels about an impending vote or issue, and then represent that majority, regardless of what other blocks are saying or doing. If he or she determines that they are going to vote "their heart", and not what their block majority wants, then they are failing at their job. If your block rep votes the party line as all of the other block reps are voting, when he or she clearly knows that the members of their block want something else then YES, they are "falling in line".

Why do I fear this type of behavior and statements of support one way or another? I have it on good authority that during this past election, phone call were made to certain candidates and it was "explained to them" that if they did get into office, they had a "responsibility and obligation to vote the same way as the rest of their LEC did". If they couldn't commit to doing so, regardless of the issue, they would be campaigned against. Not voted against, CAMPAIGNED AGAINST. Never mind what their block wanted...they were going to be expected to stick together as an LEC on EVERY issue, no matter what it was . I know one candidate was even told that he had to vote with his LEC because the by-laws said he had to. What kind of crap is that? If the block rep stands up for their block's interests, they'll never go wrong, regardless of how they vote.

I hope my newly LEC reps prove me wrong; only time will tell. Nobody can seriously believe that we are all going to agree on every issue. The senior guys have certain things that they covet. The junior guys have things that help make or break their quality of life. The instructor block has things that they hold near and dear to their heart. I'm just saying that it shouldn't be a crime for a block rep to stand up for what the folks in their block want, and I for one expect my block rep to do so.