View Single Post
Old 01-27-2007, 12:57 PM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Aviation

Originally Posted by sigep_nm View Post
Okay so I finally went through all the paper work and such and came up with some figures as to what it cost me to go to the "real" Havard of the sky.
4 years tuition = 16000
Flight Training = 32000
Total = 48000
Outcome = 4 year college degree (yes in aviaiton, i'll explain later) Commercial multi, single, instrument, CFI, CFII, MEI
UND

So why does it benefit getting a college degree in aviation? You want to be a pilot right? Being a pilot is a matter of lifestyle, and experience. I can guarantee that my experience level is vastly higher than most if not all ATP grads. Why? Because I was emersed in it for four years, and you cant take that away nor replace it. In my four years at school I took two classes based solely on regional aircraft. The class was based off the same curriculumn that Horizon uses for the dash 8, and flight safety uses for the CRJ. I also have a strong background in gas turbine engines and advanced aerodynamics. That is just to name a few. I will be the first to admit that I dont know a whole lot about ATP's course work, but i think i can safely assume that there is a huge discrepency between the two. A college degree is not for everyone but it is an integral part of being a professional pilot. Some people believe and will say that piloting is a trade, but being a PROFESSIONAL requires you to emerse yourself in the career and make the effort to utilize all available resources to learn as much as you possibly can. Thats my 2 cents, prove me wrong if you would like, I am always open for INTELIGENT dialogue.
You can self promote if you like however the truth is that flying is a trade similar to being a crane operator. (The difference is that a crane operator is rewarded for having real skill and system knowledge and is paid a good wage.) All you have to do it to follow the instructions and never think for yourself and you will be fine. If one wishes to be a trail blazing aeronautical intellectual then the place for that is in the wind tunnel at Boeing.

Pilots like to think of themselves as though their efforts carry more value than they actually do. Everyday pilots go to work with little or no formal education in aviation at all and do just fine. Some of the most successful pilots I have ever known make an effort to learn as little as possible and still get by without question. I was told by an instructor at the simulator that pilots at UAL refused to study for simulator training since they were not given any pay compensation for it.

In fact over training and education does no good at all. Horizon Air will teach new hires everything they need to know and anything else just muddies up the mental waters and makes it more difficult for the student. Education and experience in a significant field out side of aviation broadens an applicants personality, ability and skill base.

Lastly as we all know aviation is a difficult field. It is hugely beneficial to develop an outside interest since at some point you will find yourself out of a job and will need to seek a real income. An aviation degree is nothing more than four years of play masquerading as school work. It has little value to the airlines and none in the outside world. You might as well take up a PE or leisure services degree.

SkyHigh