View Single Post
Old 11-23-2011, 05:47 AM
Wasatch Phantom
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008

Originally Posted by scambo1 View Post
Ford trucks have historically had very bulletproof drivetrains. I used to tow a lot of vehicles and the ford diesels with a manual transmission were the best...then they put the 6.0 in it and poof killed a good thing. All the ford diesels from the 6.9 to the 7.3td were amazing.

I sold all of them several years ago and kept my 2000 chevy 1 ton crew cab 4x4. I still drive it daily. It rolled over 230k miles recently. The only non fluid changing mx I've ever done to it is replacing the ball joints at about 200k. It still has the original a/c compressor with the original charge. Great truck, but the difference between chevy and ford is really in the 4x4 mode. Fords lock up all 4 wheels, chevys are just limited slip. I have pulled my chevy out of a field with one of my fords more than once.

Low mile 7.3 powerstrokes from 2002 and earlier still sell for upwards of $20k. ford 6.0 liters are much less expensive because of the engine troubles.

Betcha didn't know ford and chevy 3/4 ton and larger use gm frames. Yield management.
Scambo ... Agree totally.

I've got an '02 F-350 with the 7.3 and six speed. I ordered it right after 9/11 and waited about three months.

Have upgraded the engine quite a bit. It's very powerful...can tow a 10,000 lb trailer up a six percent grade at 65 mph.

Several years ago I realized it was stupid to drive this thing around doing errands, etc. Now it only gets driven when I need its towing or hauling capabilities so it should last a long time.

I really like the truck and I can't get another like it as you can no longer get a manual transmission in a Diesel Super Duty!