View Single Post
Old 11-29-2011, 07:31 PM
Cortez
New Hire

Joined APC: Nov 2011
Default TSA background check and misdemeanors?

Hello all! Long time reader, first time poster. I've done a search around the forum before posting, and I have somewhat of a vague idea. I know my best bet is to contact a lawyer, but I want to get opinions/advice from other people.

I live in Nevada, and I plead no contest to a lessened disorderly conduct charge and was given credit for time served. I was 18 when I was charged, just turned 19.

During my search of the forum, I came across this link

http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/CHRCMay04.pdf

And I read under the "no contest" area, and none of those really applied to me. However, the misdemeanor area I believe may. I don't know where I can get access to the CHRC statute other than contacting the chief counsel. Here in Nevada, there is a waiting period of two years before a conviction can be sealed/expunged. I guess my best bet would be to wait those two years? I'll be able to use my GI bill in a few months, and I really wanted to attend a flight school. However, with the disorderly conduct, I'm not exactly sure if that would be the route to go/ pass the TSA background check until I get my case expunged? Or should I contact the chief counsel, and see if I can still pass with just the disorderly conduct? The charge is not drug/alcohol/firearm related.

Look forward to hearing from you!