View Single Post
Old 12-10-2011, 09:46 AM
Skyone
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: B777 Left

Originally Posted by RJSAviator76 View Post
Seniority lists are so.... 1920's.

Forget them in their current form, along with any compensation based on so-called seniority. As long as you're basing one's pay to their date-of-hire and date-of-hire alone, you're shooting yourself in the foot.

Want to look at "seniority"? Look at how things are done overseas at places like Emirates. Seniority? Yeah, it has its place, but it's not the end-all-be-all, and that seems like the biggest hurdle for US pilots to overcome.

As long as you potentially have a member being paid $30/hour and $90/hour for doing the EXACT same job in the same seat, you'll have MBA's (who have never seen such a thing before anywhere else) be good number crunchers/businessmen and keep you as close to that $30/hour mark as possible.
Exactly, one hundred percent correct. The first time I remember the NSL being brought up was at the ALPA BOD during the Republic/NWA merger in the mid eighties. As far as a minimum wage, what a terrible idea. If a union says that a minimum wage for a 737 captain was, lets say 140/hr., I know if I were on the other side of the table I would be trying to negotiate DOWN to that wage. Or if a company was truly having difficulties and wanted to lower the wage to 130 (after opening the books), and the pilots agreed, are they deemed "scabs" or performing a sort of wildcat strike against the Union. Just some random thoughts.