View Single Post
Old 12-15-2011, 06:28 AM
fdx727pilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: 767 Cap

Originally Posted by kronan View Post
Depends upon your situation and what you want to do. If you elect OTP, you are pay protected for almost 3 months....but, month 3 you'll see a -CH. Bonus is you get preferential treatment on makeup requests and there is a bump in the CH as well.

Downside is you might make the decision on CRS plan, and then they revise the plan.....but, you don't get to change your mind.

In general, if my conflict is going to extend to the next day, electing OTP is going to pay better. If my conflict is on the last day, and it barely overlaps the trip (getting back at 0200 when I had an 0130 show-or it was an 8/24 problem) then I will generally go with rolling the dice and sticking with SUB. Important thing to remember with SUB is that I don't have to hang out at the airport, it's kind of like a mini reserve period.

One problem with this school of thought is that you have to elect OTP prior to the showtime of the trip, or when notified of substitution. However, if you keep the SUB period, and your extended trip conflicts with the whole SUB period, or enough of it to make Overage more lucrative, you can retroactively drop the trip that was Subbed, and get overage for that time frame. You have until :30 min after blockin of the extended trip to figure out the pros and cons and do the drop. I will give you a real world example.

Inbound to MEM Tues evening with a stop in CPR. The airplane hard breaks in CPR. Was supposed to hub turn, so placed in SUB for 6ch trip. Maintenance takes till Friday morning to get airplane fixed. Have a 8ch trip (25hr layover) scheduled to show at 1345L in MEM Friday afternoon. Trip from CPR to MEM takes until 1500L to block in, so placed in SUB for 8ch trip.

Now, the first SUB period is worth 6ch. However, if dropped, you will earn 22:50 TAFB (numbers for specific trip in question,YMMV) at overage rate 150%, which is way more than 6ch. So, retroactively drop first trip that caused 1st SUB period and keep overage.

Second SUB is worth 8ch. The original extended trip conflicts with 1:45 of Sub period (1500L blockin + :30 postflight.) By this time, overage is 200%, so overage would be TAFB for 1:45 at 200%. Since 1:45 TAFB is worth about 00:28ch, your choice is being paid 8ch for SUB or getting 00:28ch at 200%. In this case, keep the SUB, forego the overage, and know that chances are slim that CRS will come up with a SUB assignement at 1530L on a Friday afternoon.