View Single Post
Old 01-30-2007, 08:40 PM
Blackhawk
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2005

Originally Posted by Ewfflyer View Post
Ha, I will only get flamed for my response, but I'm not going to chicken out for it. I just enjoy the fact that there are pilots that for some reason video tape things that aren't legal, and probably thought it'd never get on the net. I'll be honest, I enjoyed the roll. To me, it looked more like a barrel roll, since the pitch rose and fell during the proper times in the roll. Doesn't look to me that they over-loaded the airframe at any time, or even close to that matter(I didn't see any wing flex, I watched it about 5 times trying to see it.) This is besides the point though.

I'm not for or against this. If you choose to do these extra-curricular activities, you best be aware of the consequences towards you and others that could fly the aircraft in the future. Look at Bob Hoover, one of the best damn sticks to demonstrate an airplanes ability!!! He did things with that Shrike that were amazing and beautiful. If he never stepped out of the box, we would've never seen them.

I'll just finish up with a good quote, "There's a time and a place for everything." Nuf Said
1. I'm willing to bet, Bob Hoover these guys ain't. Bob Hoover perfected his air show in a P-38, an airplane built to handle the stresses of making a mistake in aerobatics, before even trying it in the Shrike. I think Bob Hoover would probably beat the #$%^ out of these guys if he could find them.
2. Bob Hoover's Shrike was re-certified under Experimental-Airshow/Exhibition. I doubt very much that this Citation was re-certified. If not, unless some one knows somethings different, it is restricted from aerobatic maneuvers. Having exceeded it's limitations this airplane is no longer airworthy until it has been inspected. Even airplanes certified for some maneuvers, such as aerobatic 152s, MUST be loaded correctly to be operated as such. Exceeding these limitations even in an aerobatic aircraft means all bets are off... as some have found in 152s when spins have gone flat due to CG.
3. I doubt very much that the pilot owns this airplane. So he was screwing around with some else's property in a way the owner is probably not aware of. Unless this guy owns the airplane, he violated the trust put in him by the owner.
4. This video was of the successful barrel roll. I doubt they saved any of possible unsuccessful ones. If there were unsuccessful ones, would YOU want to fly the airplane? I would not... even with the successful one I saw.
5. Reason number 5 not to perform aerobatics in uncertified airplanes. http://ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id...11X12105&key=1
I'll finish up with a good quote. "There's a time and a place for everything." Doing aerobatics in an airplane not certified for it, especially one you do not own, is grossly irresponsible, immature, and hardly the kind of behavior I would want to emulate or condone as a professional pilot. Nuf said.